Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
CodeRogue

Question Constant network drops/reconnects with Malwarebytes

Using a Toshiba Tecra Z400t-C - Skylake
Intel Core i5-6300U CPU@ 2.40GHz
Bios version 5.70 (Date 5/31/2016)
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS (Build 10586)
Using the latest (as of this post) DisplayLink software

This laptop is connected to a Toshiba branded DisplayLink 4K.
With a Microsoft USB Mouse and Keyboard, ViewSonic VG2439m monitor, and network
hardwired. (currently have wireless network turned off)

When the network connection is used through the DisplayLink 4K, there are constant
network drops/reconnects.

If I unplug the network cable from the back of the DisplayLink 4K, and plug it directly into
the laptop, this network connection remains solid.

I have reboot the laptop several times which "appears" to resolve the issue for awhile

Is this a know issue, anyone experiencing the same/similar issue, and any suggestions
to resolve this?

Thanks a ton!
CodeRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
ronnyl

I have the exact same issue. Dell Inspiron 15, 7000 series. Also slow screen update, if I minimize a window, the space remains blank underneith, or the content of the previous windows stays behind. Terrible. Did not notice the slow screen update that much before Windows 10 anniversary update (build 14383). I have the latest drivers for displaylink (released 25.10.2016).
ronnyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
Dennyc

I'm having a similar issue. Displaylink Driver 8.0 M3 seems to be causing ethernet drops. I can go for about 3 hours or so, and then lose connectivity. Usually a reboot fixes it, but today, I could only get my ethernet back by powering my Targus dock. I have two HP laptops using Windows 7 Pro and both are experiencing this. If I switch to WiFi, I have no problem.
Dennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Dennyc

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to roll back to 8.0 M2. Is that possible? If so, what would be the best way to do that?
Old 11-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Dennyc

I have decided to give up on using my Targus dock's ethernet port. No matter what I do, I keep getting random internet disconnects. When I check my connection status, it says my ethernet cable is unplugged, but it isn't. No amount of wiggling makes any difference. So I have just moved my cable to my laptop's ethernet port. Much more reliable.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Dennyc

UPDATE: Found out my BIOS was outdated. So I updated that and then used the DisplayLink Cleaner utility to uninstall my DisplayLink drivers. Then I downloaded and installed a fresh copy the latest DisplayLink Driver and so far, no dropouts on my ethernet connection. If something changes, I'll post back. Right now, I really think I may have had a corrupted DisplayLink install. I don't think the BIOS really had much to do with this.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
Dennyc

I guess my dock is bad. Worked with Targus support and tried several things. Ethernet still drops our at random. What's really strange is I have two identical laptops attached to two identical docks and both are exhibiting identical symptoms. Coincidence? Hard for me to believe. So my fix is to use the Ethernet on the laptops instead of the dock. That at least works but means one more thing to disconnect when moving the laptop.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Dennyc

Smile

Problem SOLVED. For me, it turns out that Malwarebytes AM and/or Malwarebytes AE were the problem. My two machines started having strange issues right after I installed these programs. Apparently, some kind of conflict was happening between Malwarebytes and something else. I suspect MSE. I was also experiencing boot problems where my machines would hang during boot up. Anyway, once I uninstalled all Malwarebyte products, both of my machines became real happy again.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Denny,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the resolution.
This will be most helpful for us to troubleshoot other installations!

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
dkinnard

Exclamation DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows 9.3 M0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennyc View Post
Problem SOLVED. For me, it turns out that Malwarebytes AM and/or Malwarebytes AE were the problem. My two machines started having strange issues right after I installed these programs. Apparently, some kind of conflict was happening between Malwarebytes and something else. I suspect MSE. I was also experiencing boot problems where my machines would hang during boot up. Anyway, once I uninstalled all Malwarebyte products, both of my machines became real happy again.
I came across the above posting earlier today when searching for a solution to a similar problem: my ethernet connection--running DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows 9.3 M0 drivers through my Plugable UD-3900 USB 3.0 dock on Windows 10--was constantly dropping, disabling itself and rendering my machine unable to connect to the internet (even Wifi using the built-in adapter). As a current premium subscriber of Malwarebytes 4 (current version is Malwarebytes 4.04.49), I saw this posting and, although dated, took a chance on uninstalling Malwarebytes (and reinstalling; see below) and...so far...I have had my ethernet adapter in my dock working all day. Here are the steps:

(1) Completely and totally uninstall malwarebytes using the latest mb-support and/or mb-clean tools
(2) by default, Windows Security/Defender Antivirus will eventually kick-in since you (presumably) have no other antivirus installed at this time.
(3) exempt/make exceptions in the Windows Defender Antivirus settings for all of the various DisplayLink software packages that you will use below to clean and re-install DisplayLink software, including, without limitation, making exceptions in the "Exploit Protection" settings (under App & Browser Control)
(4) shutdown
(5) unplug the dock from the computer
(6) reboot
(7) run the latest DisplayLink Installation Cleaner (let it finish) to completely remove all traces of DisplayLink from your machine
(8) reboot (do not yet plug in your USB 3.0 dock)
(9) Install the latest DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows
(10) Shutdown
(11) Plug your USB dock into your computer
(12) reboot
(13) if you have a Plugable Dock like me, check Plugable's website to see if there is a firmware package update for your dock. There was for mine, so I ran it. (Note that, prior to uninstalling Malwarebytes and taking the above steps, this firmware would not update, so I determined that firmware was not the original culprit).
(14) shutdown
(15) physically unplug the power supply adapter from your dock for at least 30 seconds.
(16) plug power supply back into the dock
(17) reboot.

The above worked for me--and, again, so far...

Whether it works for you may be a different story, but I felt compelled to contribute to this forum since I rely on DisplayLink so heavily in my daily work environment.

ADDITION TO THE ABOVE: (18) Reinstall Malwarebytes. As an added measure, and whether or not this is superfluous or necessary is totally up to you: leave the "enable self-protection module early start" option (in advanced security settings) unchecked, as enabling this setting specifically "...changes the order of services and drivers associated with your computer's startup" (see the MB for Windows User Guide here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3564), and you want (or, at least I want) the DisplayLink "dlcdcncm" ethernet adapter driver for the USB dock loaded early on in the PC's startup process so that the internet (using ethernet, not WiFi) works right away at the Windows login screen (and during your boot process).

Last edited by dkinnard; 12-26-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Additional Step
dkinnard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displaylink 4k, network disconnects, windows 10 (build 10586)