Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
atdyn

Default DisplayLink Drivers Shutting Down Wifi Connectivity

I have encountered an odd problem. I have a Dell D3000 docking station connected to a Dell Inspiron 7547 (Windows 8.1, 64-bit), and the DisplayLink software appears to be shutting down my wifi.

I installed the latest driver and immediately wifi stopped working on my laptop. I have seen suggestions it could be caused by interference, but that is not the cause. This problem persists even when I disconnect from the dock and take the laptop into another room. While the DisplayLink software is installed, I cant't connect to available wifi networks (or if I can connect, the connection is limited without internet access). This is not a problem with my office's wifi as my colleagues are having no issues, and I experienced the same problem when trying to connect to a home network.

The only way I have been able to restore wifi access is by completely uninstalling both the DisplayLink Core Software and DisplayLink Graphics, AND running the DisplayLink End User Cleaner. Once the software is removed wifi functions properly but the dock becomes useless.

I have tried a number of Driver versions (7.2M1, 7.8M0 and 7.9M4, as well as the original driver from the CD that came with the dock), and all cause the same problem.

The strangest aspect of this is I used this dock with this laptop with no issues for more than a year. It is only now that the problem began to surface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
atdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,

If it's worked all the time but only starts to fail now, I wonder why the drivers you validated working for more than a year would be the source.

Please try going to the Device Manager, Delete the Wi-Fi card (keeping the files), and do a scan for hardware change.
This will reinstall your Wi-Fi card drivers.

I've seen this corruption before. A Windows Update decided to push something to my Surface Pro 3 on Win 8.1 and then I couldn't use my Wi-Fi on any network. By removing DL, you are just removing the choice of card from Windows which is supposed to deal with it.

Would you please let me know how you are getting on? It could be worth me writing an FAQ on that.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #3
atdyn

I appreciate the feedback. I deleted the wifi card from the device manager, scanned for a hardware change and reinstalled the card. Unfortunately, the problem persists. I cannot connect to wifi.

Regarding why the driver would've been the cause when this worked for the past year, I was temporarily working from a different location, during which time my office manager lent out my docking station to someone else. Took a month to get it back when I returned, during which time I had to use a different hub/dock which required me to uninstall the original DisplayLink software I was using in favor of the software required for my temporary hub. I did uninstall that software prior to reinstalling DisplayLink however.

I ultimately realized the wifi problem had to be connected to the new DisplayLink installation because it was the only change I made to my computer between the wifi working and not working. Uninstalling DisplayLink did fix the issue.

Last edited by atdyn; 02-24-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Updated with result of attempted fix.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Thank you for the additional details, I understand better now.
Could you please send me logs? My forum signature shows how to create the zip.

I don't know your computer expertise level, but let's try additional questions which would be helpful: do you know what doesn't work?
1. Can you associate with the Wi-Fi access point?
2. Do you get an IP address?
3. Is the gateway properly assigned to your router?
4. Is the DNS also properly assigned?
1-4 can be answered by doing the ipconfig /all command and send me the results. If you are concerned about sensitive information, you're welcome to create a support ticket by emailing technical_enquiries@...com with the zip and ipconfig /all result.

Many thanks,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
atdyn

I don't have an explanation for it, but the wifi connectivity is suddenly back. I've made no changes to my system since your first suggested fix, but this morning wifi is working when Wednesday afternoon it wasn't.

I appreciate your feedback and assistance.