Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
classnetdd

Default Mirror changes the resolution

Installed the latest displaylink driver on a Dell Vostro 320 connected to a projector. I need to set this on a 1024x768 display which stays well in extend mode. If i changed this to mirror, it will revert to the native resolution of 1440x900. When i toggled back to extend mode, it changes back to the resolution that i want. Is there a way to stop mirror from using the native resolution and just stay at the preferred resolution?
Also lots of people are logging into the pc and it seems that the default resolution when they log on to windows is 1440x900. Funny thing is that the resolution 1024x768 is only seen at the logon screen. Once logged on and going into desktop, it blanks out for a while and resolution changed. I need everyone who logs on to stick to one resolution.
Tested on an external monitor and giving the same issue so I don't think its my projector issue.

Thanks.
classnetdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Wim

In mirror mode, both displays must use the same resolution, so if the laptop screen is at 1440x900, the projector will also need to be in this resolution.

Assuming 1024x768 is supported by both displays, you should be able to set this resolution when in mirror mode and it should be remembered between sessions (for a single user)

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
classnetdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
In mirror mode, both displays must use the same resolution, so if the laptop screen is at 1440x900, the projector will also need to be in this resolution.

Assuming 1024x768 is supported by both displays, you should be able to set this resolution when in mirror mode and it should be remembered between sessions (for a single user)

Wim
Hi Wim,

Thanks but what i don't understand is that shouldnt the main pc control the resolution so even if I dont set the resolution on the 2nd monitor, it should change according to the main?
What is even more interesting is that for extend mode, resolution is fine but once changed to mirror mode, it changes by itself. Even funnier part is that once i log off and go to the logon screen, it magically returns back to 1024x768.
Is there a hack in registry that we can force mirror to stay at a certain resolution?
At a loss right now.....

Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
classnetdd

Just to add on, I noticed a registry setting called PreferredDisplayMode in HKCU. If i change this, it stays for that user. Next new user that logs in has a different/optimal/native resolution.
Is there a way to bypass this or set this at HKCU instead of user level as I want this to be set for all users?

Thanks again in advance.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
classnetdd

Bump....Anyone?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
metalliqaz

It sounds like you are describing normal Windows behavior. I plug in my work laptop to projectors all the time (through the built-in VGA port) and I usually have to change the resolution.
metalliqaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
classnetdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliqaz View Post
It sounds like you are describing normal Windows behavior. I plug in my work laptop to projectors all the time (through the built-in VGA port) and I usually have to change the resolution.
Hi,

Like i say if this is in extend mode, no issues but mirror mode will change the resolution.
I have a same brand and model of pc connected to a projector which does not do this but can't just figure out what i did differently.