Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
chippedliver

Default Dynadock U3 - Satellite L500 sleep issues

I suspect there is no fix, but I've got the dynadock working fine under windows 7 x64.

The laptop monitor is set as off in dynadock and the display via HDMI is on the external monitor, however whenever I sleep the laptop and then wake it up the display is in a random state:

1) On the laptop only

2) Extended desktop on the dynadock monitor

3) Correctly on the dynadock monitor

I've updated the drivers, and checked every setting I can think of, but I cannot see a way to force windows to only ever display on the dynadock external monitor after waking from sleep.

I tried turning off power management for the USB and this didn't help if I manually put the computer to sleep. This also prevented to laptop from going to sleep.

I notice if I unplug and replug the dynadock it goes to the external monitor without issue, but this is annoying to do everytime it sleeps.

Anyone got any bright ideas.

Thanks

Chipped
chippedliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
chippedliver

Ok, I think I've solved it through some scripting.

Unplugging and re-plugging the dock seems to always work in bring the display to the external monitor. Why oh why it doesn't work when you sleep/wake is beyond.

Anyway. Plugging/unplugging is the same as disabling/re-enabling the USB Composite Port. I also discovered that disabling/enabling the "Dynadock U3.0" under USB Display Adaptors has the same effect. The picture freezes when you disable and then you can re-enable via the laptop screen.

What I did is get devcon.exe for Windows 7 which allows you to manage devices from the command line.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...icles/182.aspx

I then dump the hwids and found the hwid for the "Dynadock U3.0" and put it in a script. i.e.

c:\devcon\devcon.exe disable "USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015&MI_00"
c:\devcon\devcon.exe enable "USB\VID_17E9&PID_4305&REV_0015&MI_00"

And this worked perfectly. If you get no matching device errors despite it finding the device then you have the wrong (old I suppose) version of devcon or didn't follow the install instructions. I tried copying it out of the cab file and kept getting the error. Following the instructions from microsoft worked.

I then followed these instructions to create a script to run when the computer wakes.

http://superuser.com/questions/11380...leep-hibernate

It makes wake up a fraction slow (20 seconds) but the external monitor is always there now or so it seems with limited testing.

C
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Dan
Banned

Have you tried deleting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

? These are Windows' memory of the arrangements and settings for different monitor combinations you've chosen, and can sometimes get out of whack.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
chippedliver

I just tried that (and rebooted). With the laptop setup with the external monitor (1680x1050) on HDMI I put the laptop to sleep. Wake it up and the laptop is in duplicated display mode on the laptop and the external monitor which I then have to correct.

It's going back to the shop. Very frustrating.

Chipped