DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Mountain Lion Problems (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1872)

paulmj21 07-31-2012 11:35 AM

Mountain Lion Problems

As well as the aforementioned flicker problems I also have lost the entry boxes for my login screen. (I can bypass the problem if I use automatic login, but then can't logout). The input box is still there, (though hidden) I can sometimes guess roughly were the input box should be and type blindly and still get in.

The problem is resolved if I uninstall DisplayLink Driver.

Here is a macrumors thread from other users who have a similar problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191946

Your help would be appreciated.

Mountain Lion
DisplayLink_Installer 1.8

rrggrr 07-31-2012 04:42 PM

Toshiba PA3923U Not working at all on MLion

Black screen.

chandler767 08-04-2012 04:24 PM

You can still type your password the box just isn't loading. Turn on automatic login until they fix this.

Other issues you are probably having are:
Finder crashes
Flash crashes
Login issues
Photo booth wont load

pmiddlet72 08-07-2012 06:37 PM

Possible DisplayLink 1.8 related issues in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I had a clean install of OS X 10.8 and noticed a number of repeating issues.

New installation ran fine until installation of DisplayLink Driver v1.8.

Notable issues:
Login screen inputs invisible.
iTerm crashes.
Installation of Chrome fails (Console noted simultaneous plugin issues with FlashPlayer 10.6)
System Preferences crash upon attempting to view screensaver options.
Screen Saver initiation w/ hot corner failed.

Unexpected issue:
Using outlook to choose a file to attach to email - outlook crashes when choose file in dropdown.

Once I uninstalled displaylink. All back to normal. I can send a Console dump as requested.

I can't tell what the graphical issue pushing an otherwise ok driver to go kerplunk from the OS X 10.8 side.

Note - I"m using a Late 2011 MBP 13" w/ 2.4GHz Intel i5. 8GB RAM. 500GB SATA HDD (5400rpm). One external monitor: DVI to Thunderbolt, Second external monitor, via Kensington Adapter w/ Displaylink (now down due to uninstall of DIsplayLink 1.8 Driver).

Many thanks,
Phillip

paulmj21 08-20-2012 07:16 AM

An update would be helpful

I'm finding the lack of response from the DL team quite frustrating. I have written a polite email asking for an update and after a few weeks have not yet received a reply. They are still saying on their driver downloads page that v1.8 is Mountain Lion ready; it's quite clear from the forum that this is not the case.

I appreciate that they are having to do catch up with Apple, but the latest driver is simply not suitable for everyday use with Mountain Lion. They should make that clear on their download page.

It would also be helpful if they could give us an update as to what stage they are at in addressing the problem.

Carlo 08-21-2012 06:27 AM

Hi All,

We can reproduce the login issue and a few crashes. We have prioritised the login issue first however as it looks more widespread and may explain other problems.
If it is something we can fix we will release a 1.8.1 version asap.

Carlo

Gilbert 08-22-2012 12:23 AM

Similar issues with Mountain Lion and DisplayLink

Hi there

I seem to have the same issues. I downloaded the updated driver for Mountain Lion, and after reinstalling Mountain Lion again, it was working sporadically, but not great. I have three external monitors plugged into a MacBook Pro (2011), one through the thunderbolt connection and two with DisplayLink 2.0 USBs.

The login screen disappears (like others I can login through guesswork), and Skype crashes repeatedly. I use Skype constantly for work so it is not an option not to have it on. Finder crashes periodically as well.

I have uninstalled the latest DisplayLink drivers (and reinstalled without success, and uninstalled again) which has stopped the issues. A solution would be very much appreciated as I use multiple screens the whole time.

Cheers

Gilbert 08-26-2012 10:19 PM

DisplayLink still crashing with ML 10.8.1

I've just downloaded the Mountain Lion 10.8.1 upgrade with no effect or improvement on the DisplayLink issues.

My only workaround to the Skype crashing/blank login page at the moment is:

*uninstall DisplayLink
*unplug the monitors
*restart the laptop
*reinstall DisplayLink
*restart the laptop
*plug in the monitors

Bluetooth has been turned off as well.

Are we likely to have a solution to this anytime soon?

chris.ridgeway 08-27-2012 03:45 PM

+1

I have spent over 70 minutes on the phone with Apple on my login screen not rendering correctly. They have me with senior advisors now, and they report never having encountered this issue.

I am also able to "click" in the middle of my screen and type my password and get it to login, even though I can't see what I'm doing. Took me a while to discover this.

Help is appreciated asap.

DisplayLink USB adapter: BVU195
MacBook Pro 13" (late 2011)
OS X 10.8 (12A269)

jcohn25 08-27-2012 07:16 PM

If you get stuck

Mountain Lion Users: Until this problem is fixed and if you get stuck in the monitor login dead zone...:confused:

Reboot your Mac while holding down the <shift> key. This will boot the system into 'Safe Mode' and then you can uninstall the DisplayPort driver so things function normally until this is addressed.

I just thought I would help out a few that I have read are stuck on screens not sure what option they have.

I REALLY wish there would be some kind of response to this problem? The radio silence is very very unprofessional. I think we are all just looking for 'Acknowledged and we are actively working on a fix'

forza 08-29-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcohn25 (Post 7657)
I REALLY wish there would be some kind of response to this problem? The radio silence is very very unprofessional. I think we are all just looking for 'Acknowledged and we are actively working on a fix'

The response from Carlo (#6 on previous page) is just that isn't it?

paulgee31 08-31-2012 09:41 AM

I'm suffering from flickering in Safari and in Firefox there is an offset which means mouse clicks have to be offset.

We really need a fix quickly.

andynormancx 08-31-2012 10:24 AM

I've also run into this problem, blank login screen 50% of the time and Finder/Skype crashing.

Oddly for the first day or so of using Mountain Lion I only had the login problem, then the Finder and Skype crashes started.

You don't need to click randomly on the login screen, you can use the down arrow to move down the the list of users, then use the left/right arrows to select the user (if you have more than one user), then hit enter and type your password, then enter again.

For the moment though I've had to remove the driver, the Finder and Skype crashes are a showstopper. Time to tell all my DisplayLink using friends not to upgrade to ML yet :(

MickM 09-04-2012 12:12 PM

I haven't seen any of the login screen problems yet, but boy am I seeing screen flicker under mountain lion. It's possible that me not seeing login screen problems is because my main screen (the one anointed to have the menubar) is not a displaylink controlled screen. In addition to the screen flicker, whenever I invoke mission control the little window containing the image of the DisplayLink monitor is just messed up. In case it matters, I'm running 10.8.1 on a retina 15" MacBook Pro. I'm really looking forward to the next update for DisplayLink - I check every day for it!

Stephen 09-04-2012 12:17 PM

I'm starting to get just as frustrated as everyone else, I was just lurking in these threads because the problems I have been seeing other people have been seeing.

However I now have to add another voice to the chorus.

I use a DisplayLink adapter to drive a monitor while I am at work, outside of work I do not use a DisplayLink Adapter and I do not have any issues. At work, I have flickering content inside of browsers, I never see the box to enter my password when my screen saver activates, thankfully I've just been able to type blindly. Also I get the occasional kernel panic.

I'm at the point where I will not be able to recommend any DisplayLink product to anyone.

MickM 09-04-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 7721)
I use a DisplayLink adapter to drive a monitor while I am at work, outside of work I do not have any issues.

Are you implying that outside of work you use a DisplayLink adapter and mountain lion and you do not have any issues?

Stephen 09-04-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickM (Post 7722)
Are you implying that outside of work you use a DisplayLink adapter and mountain lion and you do not have any issues?

I fixed the wording in my post to make it a bit clearer. I do not use a DisplayLink Adapter when not at work.

stevedave 09-06-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 7725)
I fixed the wording in my post to make it a bit clearer. I do not use a DisplayLink Adapter when not at work.

I'm in the same boat as Stephen... frustrated and yeah.. kind of need my second monitor to work since this is for work. I may just have to save up for a thunderbolt display from apple to "resolve" my issue.

unusedusername 09-06-2012 07:40 PM

I've found as a work around to this that if you enable disk encryption (Preferences->Security & Privacy->FileVault) that the normal login screen is replaced with one that does not get broken when DisplayLink is installed.

Just in case anyone is looking for a better solution then leaving the computer unlocked all the time.

stevedave 09-06-2012 08:12 PM

Thats good to know and now I know why I never had this login issue everybody talked about. Full disk encryption is always on my stuff. Just have the lower resolution and graphical corruption on the secondary monitor in my cause.

Andy 09-07-2012 04:03 AM

Not seeing these issues

Im using a MAC Book Pro, Core 2 Duo, so not the latest model but have upgraded with DisplayLink from Tiger, through Lion and now on to Mountain Lion. I use a Toshiba docking station and two USB adapters for a three screen solution at work (four with my MAC screen included). Basically the apps I use every day for business including Microsoft and Outlook all work fine. There is a very annoying bug in the 10.8 OS which changes random text to caps when entering phrases like 'I'm ' which is nothing to do with DisplayLink but other areas work fine. I had one issue with flickering in Safari which is when I have the option selected to show recent site images, but resetting this to not show the site image selection screen and default the browser to a given website overcomes this.

Not sure why I'm different or maybe people only come here when something is wrong but for me it's fine for work and I believe updates are coming likely from both Apple and DisplayLink given this is a new OS there are bound to be teething issues.

Andy

jcohn25 09-13-2012 02:42 PM

Carlo,
Is there any timeline you can share about a 1.8.1 release to fix this issue?

thanks
Jeff

scelfo 09-13-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcohn25 (Post 7770)
Carlo,
Is there any timeline you can share about a 1.8.1 release to fix this issue?

thanks
Jeff

+1, looking forward to an update about 1.8.1

kp_ecuador 09-15-2012 03:41 PM

Crashes them all!

In my case, besides grey login screen, it crashes finder, preview, the whole office suite and even itunes.

Please let me know if there will be an updated driver soon, so I would return the product.

KP

MickM 09-17-2012 01:04 PM

I visit this site every day looking for 1.8.1...
I know the people working on a fix for all the Mountain Lion issues work better under pressure, so I thought I'd add another post to this topic ;-).

chandler767 09-17-2012 01:21 PM

I check it every single day as well. Starting to lose hope...

Stephen 09-17-2012 03:38 PM

I check multiple times a day :(

cmwade77 09-17-2012 05:32 PM

What is the status on this? I think we have been waiting patiently, but since Apple says that we need to contact the driver manufacturer to get a new driver, they make it sound like you already have one. So, where can we get it?

ETA: Here is the link to Apple's support document on this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3977

Gilbert 09-17-2012 09:12 PM

Anything?

Like others, I am checking this forum at least once a day for a solution.

DisplayLink, your products are great when they work - are we likely to see a solution, or even an update on progress, anytime soon?

Currently I can work around login and various programs crashing (Skype, Finder etc) by uninstalling and reinstalling several times (in order to hit the jackpot of the displays and programs working simultaneously) but it is time-consuming and frustrating.

roozter 09-18-2012 07:04 PM

Mountain Lion 10.8.1 & DisplayLink 1.8 issues

I have the same issues.

Login screen is blank; not showing login pictures or password entry box. My workaround for this is to hit the right arrow twice (there are only two user logins displayed) then enter then type my password. I am choosing to live with the issues (so far) and keep my third display rather than uninstall the driver and lose my third display.

Other issues you are probably having are:
Finder crashes - Yes
Flash crashes - Yes
Login issues - Yes, see above
Preview crashes - Yes
Shockwave crashes
Java, Shockwave and flash will not install. Image mounts but will not trigger the installation.

Attempted workaround: Reboot in "safe mode" and install flash, java and shockwave. This was successful but reboot into normal mode shows that the installtion did not take. I still receive messages about missing plug-ins.

jkirker 09-19-2012 06:55 PM

1.8.2 will be out this/next week...

1.8.2 will likely be out shortly... As a developer I've been running it and I can tell you that the same flicker issues exist w/ the latest version which will likely be very similar to the current build.

Are there any updates on this? Any ETA for a new driver release?

I imagine your volume is significant enough to have dedicated resource staff for development, right??

Thanks,
John

Teemu 09-19-2012 07:02 PM

I will soon return my DisplayLink

Displaylink does not work according to specs and if there is no fix soon I am returning mine. Warrantly is 12 months if I remember right.

Can anybody recommend another brand that actually works?

I have macbook later 2008 with two displays. One with DVI and another one with DisplayLink.

Teemu

GodwinC 09-20-2012 04:52 AM

Get a new mac with thunderbolt.. that would work. Displaylink is the only game in town.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu (Post 7828)
Displaylink does not work according to specs and if there is no fix soon I am returning mine. Warrantly is 12 months if I remember right.

Can anybody recommend another brand that actually works?

I have macbook later 2008 with two displays. One with DVI and another one with DisplayLink.

Teemu

fhall1 09-20-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkirker (Post 7826)
1.8.2 will likely be out shortly... As a developer I've been running it and I can tell you that the same flicker issues exist w/ the latest version which will likely be very similar to the current build.

I imagine your volume is significant enough to have dedicated resource staff for development, right??

Thanks,
John

Hahaha...based on lack of response here lately, I doubt it. My USB MIMO has been sitting unused in a cabinet since I went to 10.7.3 on my iMac (that was the first version of Lion I installed - I never install before .3 is released)...it just too much of a hassle to have to mess with whether it's going to work right on any given day. Worked fine with 10.6.x, but those days are long gone.

cmwade77 09-20-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkirker (Post 7826)

Thanks,
John

Can we download the developer version somewhere? Seriously, this is becoming a MAJOR problem.

ETA: I may have found a work around, it is not ideal, but may just work, I will test it out tomorrow and post if it does.

paulmj21 09-21-2012 10:35 AM

cmwade77: I look forward to your findings. Any tips or workaround is really appreciated. Everyone else is at a loss as to what to do?

DL Team: I would really appreciate an update. Its been two months since Mountain Lion release... an exceptionally long time for a major software problem.

cmwade77 09-21-2012 03:25 PM

So far, my Fix works, here is what is you need to do:
  1. Restart your computer ins safe mode, if you cannot get finder to open.
  2. Open terminal and enter chflags nohidden /System/Library/
  3. Now, open finder and go to /System/Library/Extensions
  4. Find the file DisplayLinkDriver.kext and copy it to your desktop.
  5. Now delete the same file from your /System/Library/Extensions folder. (OS X will not let you simply move the file)
  6. Download "Install KEXT" from: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/04/insta...ith-kext-drop/
  7. Restart your computer in regular mode and it should start up normally.
  8. Use the Install KEXT and drag the DisplayLinkDriver.kext into the window and click install.
  9. Restart your computer in reglar mode and all should be well now with your extra monitor working.

So far I have only needed to complete these steps once and it seems to be a permanent fix, but you can certainly do it multiple times if you find that you need to. I would also think that most, if not all of this can be automated somehow, but I don't have the skills to accomplish this. There may also be other methods that work with fewer steps, but this has worked for me.

Please note that at several points during this, you will need your administrator password.

Update 1: I found that you do have to do this every time you want to reboot, but it does seem to work every time.

Update 2: I am now not sure if you have to do this every reboot, I have had several successful reboots now without going through this process.

mfbiocoogana 09-23-2012 06:46 AM

Same problems as everyone else and so angry I didn't check this out before I went ahead with the "upgrade" to mountain lion...... had my displaylink work for a total of 3 days..... FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fbaptiste 09-26-2012 11:36 PM

Same problem here...

Upgraded MBP recently to Mountain Lion after running it on my iMac for a while without any issues. MBP had major issues - in particular Finder (which by the way will open as long as it is not pointed to All My Files, which is how it opens for me from the dock). Flash failed.
Took forever to narrow it down to the Display Link drivers...
It's obviously been several months now since people have brought this to DisplayLink's attention... Any hope of getting this resolved quickly?? DisplayLink - anyone around? Or have you checked out of the Mac business?

cmwade77 09-27-2012 05:14 PM

Unfortunately, my workaround above has stopped working for me as of today. This is very frustrating, but we have found another company (J5Create) that works flawlessly with Mountain Lion, the only catch is you need to download the drivers from their Facebook page, as they are still prerelease drivers.