Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Ben85

Question Can't Configure Six Monitor Array: Hardware or Software?

Hi Everyone,

As per the thread title, I'm attempting to configure a six monitor array (three of which are connected via DisplayLink), but haven't been having much luck.

The following hardware is being used:

DisplayLink Adapter: HP NL571AA
Laptop: HP EliteBook 8760W
Laptop Dock: HP NZ223AA
Monitors: Samsung MD230X6
Video Card: AMD FirePro M5950

The following software is being used:

DisplayLink Driver: 7.5.52874.0 + 7.5.52889.0
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
USB 3.0 Driver: 2.1.39.0
Video Card Driver: 13.152.4-130928a-164146C-HP

The six monitor array is connected as follows:

Top Left: Samsung MD230 -> DVI -> HP NL571AA -> USB -> HP NZ223AA
Top Middle: Samsung MD230 -> DVI -> HP NL571AA -> USB -> HP NZ223AA
Top Right: Samsung MD230 -> DVI -> HP NL571AA -> USB -> HP NZ223AA
Bottom Left: Samsung MD230 -> DVI -> HP NZ223AA
Bottom Middle: Samsung MD320 -> DisplayPort -> HP EliteBook 8760W
Bottom Right: Samsung MD230 -> DVI -> HP NZ223AA

In other words, the bottom array (which works flawlessly) is using native video outputs (i.e. DisplayPort and DVI) and the top array is using DisplayLink.

When the HP NL571AA adapters are connected in isolation (i.e. without the monitors attached), device manager lists all three of them under "USB Display Adapters" and they appear to be working correctly. However, once the monitors are attached, it goes pear-shaped. Using a previous AMD driver, an "atikmdag.sys" BSOD would usually result (this doesn't happen using the recent AMD driver). Regardless of the AMD driver version, upon restarting the operating system, two of the three HP NL571AA adapters will be shown as an "Unknown Device" in the device manager.

I've attached the advanced debug information. Hopefully, this might assist in determining if the issues are due to faulty hardware or software incompatibilities.

If you require any further information, please be sure to let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip debug.zip (884.2 KB, 2 views)
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Ben85

Well, the lack of response regarding this issue is certainly disappointing. I've got a client breathing down my neck questioning why he can only utilise four of his six displays and all I can tell him is that "I've created a support topic with DisplayLink". Honestly, I don't think he believes that it could take a respectable company more than four business days to at least acknowledge the issue. The way I see it is that I have two options (since I can't confirm if the issue is software related). The first is to buy additional DisplayLink adapters and hope that it's a hardware fault and the second is to try a non-DisplayLink solution. Based on the lack of customer service thus far, I think the choice is obvious.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

This issue is scheduled for investigation.

We're currently waiting for the necessary hardware to arrive.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

Can you right click on the devices coming up as "Unknown Device" and let me have the error code against those device? Should be under the "Properties" option in the menu that comes up.

Are the adapters connected via the notebook or the docking station?
Can you attaching them via the docking station?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Ben85

Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

All of the displays are connected via the dock [HP NZ223AA], with the exception being the bottom middle display (which connects via the HP EliteBook 8760W's onboard DisplayPort).

Unfortunately, I can't access the HP EliteBook 8760W until later this evening. However, I've done some testing with the two dysfunctional HP NL571AA adapters on another computer (running Windows 8.1), with varying results. The first adapter is recognised correctly by the device manager, but is unable to detect when a display is present (i.e. plugged in). The second adapter results in the following errors:

The third adapter appears to work fine. Would it be safe to assume that two of the HP NL571AA adapters are faulty and would need replacement?

Last edited by Ben85; 01-21-2014 at 09:00 AM.