Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
Yelsikneb

Unhappy Displays Not Detected

I'm running the 1.2.58 driver on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena using a Plugable UD-3900 docking station. I installed the driver following these directions, and everything went well (although the mouse pointer did kind of trail around, which was no big deal).

Problem: I unplugged from my docking station and plugged back in later, and I could not get any displays to be detected. Rebooting and changing USB ports did not help.

Attempted solution: I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling the driver. Unfortunately, nothing changed. I tried again, and discovered that although the installation script completed, it did not output the last few lines of the script, "Starting DLM upstart job" and "displaylink start/running." It stopped after the line "Adding udev rule." I found a forum post on this, but I couldn't figure out where the script was output to that I needed to edit, or even what lines I needed to edit out.

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Thanks!
Yelsikneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
Yelsikneb

Anyone at least know the proper way to cleanly uninstall the driver? Maybe I'm doing that wrong. I'm just calling the one command suggested by the DisplayLink FAQs, but maybe there's more I can do to get this back to its initial state.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:27 AM   #3
Yelsikneb

So I was able to open the installer script, and it looks like it runs all the way through and runs through the systemd if statement at the end of the install script, which I would expect... And the service starts running too! So why no monitor output anymore?

Code:
dlm.service - DisplayLink Manager Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dlm.service; static; vendor preset: enabl
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-02-02 22:20:51 EST; 29s ago
  Process: 12861 ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe evdi (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS
 Main PID: 12865 (DisplayLinkMana)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dlm.service
           └─12865 /opt/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager

Feb 02 22:20:51 computerName systemd[1]: Starting DisplayLink Manager Service...
Feb 02 22:20:51 computerName systemd[1]: Started DisplayLink Manager Service.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
MartyIX

sudo ./displaylink-driver-xxxxx.run uninstall

You can have a look inside the script.
MartyIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
Yelsikneb

Okay, so I've run the uninstall/install a couple times, moving things in and out of the if statements, but I've discovered that even with the normal script running, it all seems to install correctly. Does this mean that it's just not compatible with Linux Mint? Or is it something to do with systemd? I know the systemd service is running (see below)... And it [I]was[/I running earlier before stopping working... ]Any ideas?

Code:
systemctl status dlm
● dlm.service - DisplayLink Manager Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dlm.service; static; vendor preset: enabl
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2017-02-04 13:25:08 EST; 23s ago
  Process: 6602 ExecStartPre=/sbin/modprobe evdi (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 6605 (DisplayLinkMana)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dlm.service
           └─6605 /opt/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager

Feb 04 13:25:08 computerName systemd[1]: Starting DisplayLink Manager Service...
Feb 04 13:25:08 computerName systemd[1]: Started DisplayLink Manager Service.