Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Casshern

Default Problem with newest displaylink displayport device and Apple Cinema Display

Hi,

i am using the newest displaylink usb3.0 adaptor capable of 2560 x 1600 Pixel (newest chipset):

http://www.lindy.de/usb-3-displaypor...ter/43171.html

I am trying to connect a windows pc via usb to a apple cinema display 27" (minidisplayport and 2560 x 1440 Pixel - which according to the displaylink lindy device is supported). I connected it as follows:

Win7 USB3.0 -> Lindy-Displaylink (Output: Displayport) -> Displayport-to-Mini-Displayport-Adaptor -> Apple Cinema Display

The Problem is that the Apple Cinema Display shows no picture. It seems that it does not even turn on. It does not have a seperate on/off switch, it normally just senses that a device is connected and turns on automatically. It seems that the displaylink device does not support this auto on/off displayport feature. Is there a software update for this? Or is there another solution?

regards,

Casshern

P.S.: It is not the new thunderbolt apple display! It is the previous Cinema Display with an mini-Displayport male connector cable. http://store.apple.com/de/product/MC...hbildschirm%29

Last edited by Casshern; 09-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Wim

It should work, but not tested this specific display. Do you have the logs when the display is connected?

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Casshern

I downloaded the debug tool and recorded the logs (see attached zip file). The system compatibility check yielded the following results:
Pass: Basic mode support
Pass: Device attached
Pass: Device started correctly
Pass: Graphics driver date
Pass: WEI is above recommended 3
Pass: No Other USB graphics software installed

Still no luck with the apple cinema display. It seems the displaylinkadaptor does not signal the monitor on command through the displayport - so the cinema display does not even turn on. Please fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
It should work, but not tested this specific display. Do you have the logs when the display is connected?

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim
Attached Files
File Type: zip NB-NAWU_20120928_140645.zip (221.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Casshern

Did anybody have a look at the logs I posted? I specifically bought the displaylink adaptor for the cinema display - please fix this problem!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Wim

It looks like the software is not detecting the display. We don't have this display to test and find out the exact cause, but we are doing a lot of work to improve the reliability of connecting DisplayPort displays. Hopefully some of these changes and fixes will solve the issue you are finding.

Wim
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
It looks like the software is not detecting the display. We don't have this display to test and find out the exact cause, but we are doing a lot of work to improve the reliability of connecting DisplayPort displays. Hopefully some of these changes and fixes will solve the issue you are finding.

Wim
Hmm, the apple cinema led display is one of the most widely used monitors in the mac community - you can surely find one to test. At the moment the new displaylink usb 3.0 devices are not widespread, but this will change soon. I would not want to imagine if more people think they can use them with their cinema displays and get disappointed.

This is not some obscure monitor - it seems that the displaylink device just does not send the correct hot-plug signals to turn the monitor on -> that's why it does not detect it.

Please be so kind to fix this, as I spend a lot of money on the monitor, the displaylink device and the DP-MDP adaptor.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Gordon

Another unhappy user here. I think I have the same problem.

I have the same set up as Casshern ie. HP Windows 7 PC -[USB3]-> Lindy 43171 Displaylink-[displayport]->passive displayport to female minidisplayport adaptor->Apple 27" LED Cinema display monitor.

Displayport software up to date at v 7.0M2

When I plug in the monitor nothing happens - the display remains off. I think Casshern may be correct, the displaylink device just does not send the correct hot-plug signals to turn the monitor on

The monitor works just fine plugged into the PC's internal displayport using the passive displayport to female minidisplayport adaptor, so I know that both of those components are working properly.

I too spent a lot of money on this set up and am extremely disappointed. In fact, doubly so as I actually bought 2 monitors and 2 displaylink adaptors.

Please, please can someone at Displaylink bump this up the priority list? If Displaylink cannot make the adaptor/chipset work with one of the best selling WQXGA displays on the market then I have serious questions regarding the validity of the claim that the chipset really does support 2560x1600...
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Gordon

Bump!

Is anyone at Displaylink working on this? I'm sitting here with a couple of thousand dollars of design industry standard Apple monitors which I cant use at all.

I'm very happy to help cooperate by providing log files etc, but a complete lack of response on this issue is just not acceptable for a supposed premium product.

Please update us on this!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Wim

The next release of software, v7.1 should be later this month, and is intended to pass DisplayPort compliance. Hopefully this should fix the issue with this particular display, however we do not have access to this exact model so cannot confirm what the issue is.

Wim
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Gordon

Wim,

That sounds like good news. I'll test as soon as the update comes out and will let you know.

Many thanks for the information and support!
Gordon