Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 10-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
shahlin

Question Using Dell D3100 Docking Station with laptop + dual monitor running Antergos

I have two monitors (DELL U2414H) and a laptop (DELL Inspiron 15 3567). I want to be able to extend my laptop screen to both the monitors. Currently, I can only extend it to one monitor since my laptop has only one HDMI port and no VGA.
I don’t know how to be able to use both monitors. So, I’m planning on buying Dell D3100 Docking Station so I can use both the monitors but I’ve seen that it’s driver support for Linux is weak. I think it requires the DisplayLink driver or something, I’m not sure.

Could someone tell me if its okay for me to buy the docking station? Will I be able to use it without problems? Or is there some working alternative to be able to extend my laptop screen to both monitors?
shahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
tarkingt0n

I purchased a 3100 with my Dell XPS 13 and have used it off and on with some success and some headaches. I've been using it for over 1.5 years and I generally install the latest driver when presented on DL's website.

Installation on Ubuntu-based distros works OK... sometimes I experience high CPU loads on a particular distro, sometimes it's OK. ... However, I'm currently running Manjaro, which is Arch under-the-hood like Antergos, and making the 3100 work with Manjaro as-is-installed was nearly impossible and when I eventually 'hacked' it enough to recognize/drive a desktop on my secondary display, it was really buggy with graphical artifacting and whatnot.

I'm no linux expert, but I spent time reading the Arch Wiki for the Displaylink products and the Intel graphics page... installed different builds of the EVDI and Displaylink Driver.... nothing ended up working right. I ended up just driving my 4k monitor with a USB-C to HDMI dongle... it works and the CPU impact is actually less then when I run the 3100...which really defeats the point if you're only driving one external monitor.

I'm glad DL is developing/supporting drivers for this product but unfortunately I have to recommend staying away from the 3100 for Arch systems. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

Hope this helps..
tarkingt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
tmsbrdrs

Default d3100 on Arch

I'm currently attempting to set this up on my own Vanilla Arch install. At the moment, the only aspect working with this is the network. I originally was able to use my mouse, keyboard, headset and network but that has since stopped working.
My recommendation until DisplayLink either fixes their drivers or open sources them so they can be fixed by those who know how is to stay away from this model.
tmsbrdrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antergos, arch linux, d3100 docking station, support