Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Weware

Default Black screen during Login

Hello everyone. I've installed "displaylink-driver-4.2.29" for Ubuntu (I'm on 18.04) and also tried this file: https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/displaylink-debian

I'm connecting two Monitors (HDMI and DVI) via USB with my PC using a port replicator (manufactured by i-tec, p/n is U3HDMIDVIDOCK). I need this to use my Monitor for my Laptop as well.

Anyhow, on my PC I've got the problem that during the boot phase and up until I entered my password to access my Ubuntu User Account, I don't have any video signal.

After I entered my password correctly both monitors receive proper signal.
Is there a way that I can install the drivers so that they are working prior login as well?

Best would be even to see the BIOS-phase, but I fear this is not possible, right?

Currently I'm using auto-login without a password, but that is something I would rather not.

Last edited by Weware; 07-14-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info on used hardware
Weware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
lspintzyk

Hi,

This is expected what you see.

DisplayLink docks does not support bios phase.
Unfortunately Linux boot up phase is also not supported at the moment.

When speaking about Login screen this is also expected. Unfortunately this stopped working when Ubuntu switched from LightDM and Unity to Gnome with Gdm dsplay manager. Which miss support for that case. I hope this will change in the future but this depends on community.
lspintzyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
bestname

Default Workaround: Replace GDM3 with LightDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspintzyk View Post
When speaking about Login screen this is also expected. Unfortunately this stopped working when Ubuntu switched from LightDM and Unity to Gnome with Gdm display manager. community.
My workaround was to install LightDM as the display manager. Afterwards, it worked sufficiently.
bestname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:19 AM   #4
colsartoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspintzyk View Post
When speaking about Login screen this is also expected. Unfortunately this stopped working when Ubuntu switched from LightDM and Unity to Gnome with Gdm dsplay manager. Which miss support for that case. I hope this will change in the future but this depends on community.
I just installed Linux Mint 20 and wrangled DisplayLink to work for me; however, I'm still having the issue stated here. When I turn the computer on, the monitors are asleep until I enter the password blindly. Linux Mint uses LightDM, so I'm wondering if there's a script I could add to a .conf file or something that would make the monitors wake up at the login screen. Thanks!
colsartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
kiroshi

Faced the same issue. Please help

I'm using an HP laptop and HP Universal Dock G2

Code:
Operating System: Linux Mint 20
Kernel: Linux 5.4.0-59-generic
Architecture: x86-64

GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

I have two HP laptops and a newer one has an option in BIOS called "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to a USB-C DP alt mode dock" (it makes my USB 3.0 ports work like 2.0 but monitors work's on login) and it fixes this issue, but the older laptop doesn't have this option in BIOS...

Last edited by kiroshi; 01-07-2021 at 11:05 AM.
kiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #6
kiroshi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiroshi View Post
Faced the same issue. Please help

I'm using an HP laptop and HP Universal Dock G2

Code:
Operating System: Linux Mint 20
Kernel: Linux 5.4.0-59-generic
Architecture: x86-64

GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

I have two HP laptops and a newer one has an option in BIOS called "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to a USB-C DP alt mode dock" (it makes my USB 3.0 ports work like 2.0 but monitors work's on login) and it fixes this issue, but the older laptop doesn't have this option in BIOS...
so... I folowed steps in this post https://askubuntu.com/a/69501 and all works just fine. Problem is solved for me.
kiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote