Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
FlorianSchaetz

Default Displaylink CPU Usage high in Ubuntu 18.04

Hello,

I am using a reasonably fast Dell laptop with a Dell 3100 docking station under Ubuntu 18.04 and the CPU usage seems extraordinarily high (> 100% when playing a youtube video on an external screen... More than one processor is needed for that?). Also, Xorg seems to have more CPU usage than I would expect.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nb-fschaetz_2018-06-11T12:06:40.580166.zip (922.6 KB, 0 views)
FlorianSchaetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Borszczuk

Hi, this forum does not allow me to download your log ZIP, but check my post on similar problem with high load: https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=86255
Borszczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Drofe

Default Same issue on my laptop

As I posted in the other thread the fix does not work for me as it is obviously not log writing that is the issue for me.

I'm on a DELL Latitude E7250 laptop with SSD and i7 processor using Xubuntu 18.04 with Xfce using latest 4.2.29 driver.

If I have nothing going on on either display CPU usage is not exceptional (<10%). If I start doing anything like grabbing a window and "wiggle" it the cpu quickly rises to >100%
If I check the threads in top there are threads called DeviceWindowDis and SourceEngine_00 that sky rockets when I wiggle the window.
Drofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
floyd

I experience the same problem on Ubuntu 18.04 with DisplayLink Driver 4.4.24.

Is there any fix?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
peda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borszczuk View Post
Hi, this forum does not allow me to download your log ZIP, but check my post on similar problem with high load: https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=86255
Thanks, I had a look and for me at was a different message, which caused 30 MB of log volume per hour - that itself shouldn't be a problem for a SSD, but it caused the CPU load to go down a bit. At the moment I'm only seeing around 50% of CPU usage for mouse movement - which still is way too high ... watching a video on of the screens connected using DisplayLink still doesn't work properly (very laggy ....)
peda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
brice

Default Same same

I'm having exactly the same Problem and created an account just to put my voice behind the cause.
So i'm using a lenovo miix-520 with an ubuntu 18.04 and displaylink is routinely using 100-200% CPU load on multple processes. This is way overboard. I'm not even doing anything remotely graphically heavy. As soon as the load increases the performance goes into the cellar...
A quick google search tells me that this problem seems to be around for over a year now. Will this problem ever be addressed or should linux users just ditch DisplayLink?
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #7
peda

Looking at how many threads are here with a high CPU load on Ubuntu and how little anyone from DisplayLink cares about it, it looks like they are giving a **** about Linux support. It's a real pity ... DisplayLink could be such a great solution, but ...

Unfortunately I didn't look in this forum before I bought this stuff ... I do really regret having bought a dock which is using DisplayLink ...
peda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
jolars

I have the same problem but using Antergos (Arch Linux). CPU usage is continually high, even when I'm doing basically nothing on the computer.
jolars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
edclement

Default thunderbolt

Yup, basically if you're a professional who uses linux in your day to day work, you are way better off just getting a pure thunderbolt 3 dock. It's sad how bad linux support is for displaylink. They don't want to provide any regular updates/improvements to the linux driver yet won't open-source it either. The ridiculous thing is that people who use linux are usually power users and more likely to use multiple monitors...

I will never ever buy a display link dock again...
edclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
kelly

same here, running mint 19.1 with latest 4.4 of the driver and cpu rockets to over 150% on my fujitsu e754 lifebook with the displaylink process the cause.

I've since ditched the driver and looking at alternatives and wil simply opex it.
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote