Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Kamil

Hello,

thank you for checking the Firmware in your device.
Are you using DP++ adapter to connect monitor (Benq G2420 has only DVI and VGA inputs)? I guess Samsung S27D850 is connected using DP cable.
We have look on your logs and it looks like that they are cut off just before issue happened. The reason for this might be OS has data in buffer and not yet send them to /var/log.
Next time when issue happen could you please just before gathering logs execute "sync" http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...n8/sync.8.html command ?

As well if this will be possible for you could you please (when having dock unplugged):
- have evdi logging enabled (the same way as you did before),
- have debug enable for DispalyLink logs,
- clean /var/log/displaylink directory (including hidden files),
- reboot machine.
After this please just use your machine normally with dock connected etc. and when issue happen could you please execute sync command and gather logs?

Cheers
Kamil
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #12
peda

Hello Kamil,

yes - I can try that when the problem does happen again I also did some searching and I cam across this post yesterday: https://displaylink.org/forum/showpo...3&postcount=15

Even though this post ist for Ubuntu 17.04 and I'm on 16.04 I gave it a try - I've applied the same settings to my system (obviously changed to use my display names) and since then the issues hasn't happened again.

I will keep monitoring it for a few days, but since this issue first occurred this is the longest time without it happening again.

Maybe these settings do give you a hint what might be going wrong here and if it might just be a coincidence with the driver update?

I haven't tried those settings individually so I can't tell you which one actually fixed it for me (at least for new) the only one I can rule out is
TLP USB_AUTOSUSPEND=0 as this was already set beforehand.

And to answer your question - yes the BENQ is connected with a DP to DVI adapter cable (Amazon Basics cable), but I can rule out this cable as root-cause because the issue does also happen when this cable (and the BENQ monitor) are not connected to my Dell D6000.

PS: I did just google every single log message in the seconds before this issue happend together with Displaylink and the log line "usb 2-2.1: Disable of device-initiated U1 failed" led me to the article mentioned above.

Last edited by peda; 11-27-2018 at 02:42 PM.
peda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
adin

Default I'm experiencing the same problem on Ubuntu 18.04 Dell Inspiron 15

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 15, and I'm experiencing the same problem. Random blackouts on the monitors. Unplugging and plugging the dock back solves the problem but it is annoying.

Any solutions?
Attached Files
File Type: zip DLSupportTool_Output_2018-11-27T11:43:01.110551.zip (443.4 KB, 2 views)
adin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
Kamil

Hello,

Peda if you will encounter issue again please notify us about it.

Adin your issue looks very similar to the author of this thread.
Could you please follow instruction posted in another thread https://displaylink.org/forum/showpo...3&postcount=15 and start from Disabling Display Power Management ? However in your case monitor names are "DVI-I-2-2" and "DVI-I-1-1", which could be read from xrandr.txt file.

Cheers
Kamil
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
peda

Hello Kamil,

the issue isn't re-appeared since I changed the settings. It looks like this did solve the issue - would be great if you could include this in the driver installer or at least the installation instructions.
peda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
adin

Hi Kamil,

Thanks for your answer. I've been testing for a day and it seems stable now. I need to disable the sound too to make it work, though. Only adding the monitors to Xorg didn't work. I haven't test if disabling the xorg works too.
adin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #17
edclement

Angry maintain your driver

I find it sad that you have to reference a post I previously made to get things working properly under linux for some people. How about you actually start maintaining your linux driver or make it open source so the community can maintain it? I've seen no real improvement to your linux driver in years and it's hardly ever updated. What do you plan to do when ubuntu eventually switches from xorg to wayland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
Hello,

Peda if you will encounter issue again please notify us about it.

Adin your issue looks very similar to the author of this thread.
Could you please follow instruction posted in another thread https://displaylink.org/forum/showpo...3&postcount=15 and start from Disabling Display Power Management ? However in your case monitor names are "DVI-I-2-2" and "DVI-I-1-1", which could be read from xrandr.txt file.

Cheers
Kamil
edclement is offline   Reply With Quote