Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
ThreeHeadedMonster

Default Blue Tint / Apple Cinema Display 27" / Startech USB32DPPRO

Hi everyone!

My new ACD 27" has a blue tint when connected to the Startech USB32DPPRO using Displaylink Driver 2.0 March 22, 2013.

My system
----------------------------
Mac Mini i7 2.6
16G Ram
Mountain Lion 10.8.3
(2) Thunderbolt Displays 27"
(1) Cinema Display 27"

Questions
-----------------------------
Any anyone else running this same system configuration?
Does anyone else have this problem?
What can I do to fix this?

Not sure if this is a display issue, driver issue, USB32DPPRO issue or displayport to mini displayport adaptor issue.

Will try connecting to a MacBook later today to see if the results are the same.
ThreeHeadedMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
omarius

I have the same issue with a Thinkvison LT1421 monitor on a MacbookPro laptop.

When i plugin the monitor in a Windows powered computer (an old Toshiba sattelite) the image is pretty good. There is a small difference from the laptop screen but is decent.

However, when i plug it into the Macbook Pro with Lion 10.7.5 (using same cable), the image on Thinkvision is way different then the mac one. Is very "blue-ish", the gray looks more like blue-silver and white has a blue shade. I attached an image, hope it looks good enough

I have tried to use the OsX display settings to change and calibrate profile, but apparently that does nothing. I can see some vague changes when i select different profiles, but nothing obvious.

Anyone has any advice? I need this monitor for the Macbook and even though i don't do professional image editing, i do webdesign and i still need colors to match. Now is pretty impossible to know what is gray and what is blue...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-19 17.09.35.jpg (83.2 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by omarius; 04-19-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added image
omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
ThreeHeadedMonster

Yes that is what I am experiencing as well. The 27" Apple Cinema Display has a pale blue tint to it.

From what I can tell it is the same if I plug it in to my MacBook Pro mini displayport or into the USB32DPPRO attached to my Mac Mini.

Took the display to an Apple Store and one of the Geniuses there the display definitely had a blue tint to it.

Trying to calibrate it using the Mac OS X Preferences did nothing really.

Wondering if a hardware display calibrator would do any better.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
omarius

I am glad i am not the only one, but i am sad about the situation. After testing it on a couple different computers, it looks to me more like a Mac driver/software issue then monitor. Same monitor shows colors properly when attached to Windows computers.

After reading more posts, i understand that DisplayLink driver does not support calibration. Maybe it is the time to make it support that?!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
omarius

Guys, can someone please address this issue? Is impossible for me to use the monitor and i need to decide if i will return it or not. I really want to keep it but it has to work properly first... Just look at the colors in this image and you will see what i mean... Can/will you do something about this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-04-22 15.55.19.jpg (88.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Carlo
Mac Team

Unfortunately we don't offer color calibration functionality at the moment.
The OS will pick a color profile and apply it assuming a certain gamma and temperature are applied on the monitor. If the monitor's factory calibration is way off form the expected it's possible to have this kind of results.
For omarius I'd try to connect to the MBP's video output and check if the ColorSync manual calibration can change the situation at all.
If it does then I'm afraid we can't provide a solution right now. If not then it's best to contact Apple about this issue and see what they suggest.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
omarius

Thanks for the reply Carlo. Can you tell me how i can connect the monitor to MBP video out? MBP has a thunderbolt port out.

Is there an adaptor to connect USB to thunderbolt port? I only know about adapters for VGA, HDMI and DVI, but not USB too...

And one other thing i noticed, not sure if is important or helps in any way. If i use a screen capture tool on the Thinkvision monitor, and then i look at the picture on MBP monitor, the colors are fine. Image shows same as it was taken from Mac screen, even though it looks bad on Thinkvision. It just looks like the mac see the image "behind the screen" normal, but the screen itself adds some kind of overlay, making it look bad. Not sure i can explain it better...

Last edited by omarius; 04-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi Omerius,

Sorry did not notice it's the (quite sleek!) LT1421. You can't run that experiment of course.

The screen shot of the framebuffer is a good idea, I think this is what we are expecting (default profile applied) but I'll do a few experiments changing the internal screen profile to make sure.

In any case, I'm afraid we can't offer a solution for color correction in any near time scale.
You feedback is really useful for us to understand just how important this is: thank you!

Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarius View Post
Thanks for the reply Carlo. Can you tell me how i can connect the monitor to MBP video out? MBP has a thunderbolt port out.

Is there an adaptor to connect USB to thunderbolt port? I only know about adapters for VGA, HDMI and DVI, but not USB too...

And one other thing i noticed, not sure if is important or helps in any way. If i use a screen capture tool on the Thinkvision monitor, and then i look at the picture on MBP monitor, the colors are fine. Image shows same as it was taken from Mac screen, even though it looks bad on Thinkvision. It just looks like the mac see the image "behind the screen" normal, but the screen itself adds some kind of overlay, making it look bad. Not sure i can explain it better...
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
omarius

Thanks Carlo. It looks like i am out of luck. I did like the monitor too, and i actually wanted two of them, but unfortunately i can't use it

I hope some day you guys are going to add color calbration. I will buy a monitor the second day (assuming they are still on sale)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
ThreeHeadedMonster

What about a tweaked version of the driver to offer color temp the same as thunderbolt / mac displays?