Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
heldmar

Angry Drivers stop working after a kernel upgrade, need reinstall

Hi,

I am an Ubuntu (18.04.2 LTS) user and I am using DisplayLink drivers for a USB Dock with my Laptop (Lenovo Yoga 910) since driver version 1.4.

I have upgraded to subsequent drivers versions when they came out, so right now I am running version 4.4, however, on versions 4.2 and 4.4 I have noticed that every time I do a kernel upgrade (which happens around once a month) drivers stop working and I need to do a uninstall and then reinstall same driver I had and reboot the machine in order for the driver to "attach" to the new kernel.

This although is quite simple is annoying, it seems like when you install the driver it actually attaches to the kernel and when the kernel is upgraded it won't transfer driver to it and you have to do it for it.

Is this something that can be prevented somehow? Can DisplayLink look into this for future releases?
heldmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
mlukaszek

Kernel driver is being registered with dkms, so it should be rebuilt as you upgrade your kernels. Is this not working?

Thanks,
MIchal
mlukaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
heldmar

No, it's not working, that's why I wanted to make you guys aware to see if this can be corrected in future versions.

It's very easy to test it by installing simply installing an old kernel version, installing the driver and then trying to upgrade the kernel and then trying to use the dock. Actually, the dock works (USB connections and networking) but displays won't even turn on unless you reinstall the driver again.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
heldmar

More information on this matter:

I have 2 different devices, one at home and one at the office, both of them use DisplayLink. I did a kernel upgrade last night and of course, it made my device at home to not work so I had to uninstall the driver, reboot, reinstall the driver and reboot again to make it work.

Then I came to office Today and when I plugged to my USB dock it didn't work, so I had to once again: uninstall, reboot, install, reboot. Not only is annoying but this means that it even affects devices! So, you basically will have to uninstall and reinstall per each device you have.

Very weird and annoying, I hope this can get fixed in any way.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
Thomas Maeder

Default Seconded

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldmar View Post
No, it's not working, that's why I wanted to make you guys aware to see if this can be corrected in future versions
Basically every time I update the kernel, I have to
* displaylink-installer uninstall
* reboot
* ./displaylink-driver-5.2.14.run
Thomas Maeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
smacdonald-miov

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS. I hadn't noticed a problem with the 4.4 driver.

I just upgraded to the 5.2 driver; I'll keep an eye out for issues.
smacdonald-miov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
Thomas Maeder

After the update to kernel 4.15.0-58, I had to uninstall, reboot then install again.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
heldmar

After installing last version, now when I update Kernel, on the next reboot it takes around 3 - 4 minutes for the dock to recognize the external screens and work. It will work without installation but not immediately.

It will work normally afterwards on the very next reboots though.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
Thomas Maeder

> After the update to kernel 4.15.0-58, I had to uninstall, reboot then install again.

I'm happy to be able to write that I haven't had to do that any more for a while now after kernel updates.

Tags
driver, kernel, linux, ubuntu