Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release

Old 09-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
kba

Default Regarding OpenGL on OS X 10.7.2 and 1.7b4

Hello,

If this has already been asked, I'd like to apologize in advance. I haven't been able to find it.

In the release notes for the 1.7 beta 4 driver, it's mentioned that there's no 3D (OpenGL) acceleration, and I'm not sure how to interpret this. Does this mean if I install the driver, there will be no 3D acceleration on my entire system, or is it only on my DisplayLink-enabled monitor?

When I ran OS X Lion (GM) with the DisplayLink drivers, I had a problem where I wasn't able to play videos in VLC, QuickTime, etc, nor was I able to watch flash on most websites such as YouTube.

So, will these problems be reintroduced if I install the new driver and what will the consequences of "no 3D acceleration" be? Is it system-wide or only for the DisplayLink-enabled monitor?

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Hello,

If this has already been asked, I'd like to apologize in advance. I haven't been able to find it.

In the release notes for the 1.7 beta 4 driver, it's mentioned that there's no 3D (OpenGL) acceleration, and I'm not sure how to interpret this. Does this mean if I install the driver, there will be no 3D acceleration on my entire system, or is it only on my DisplayLink-enabled monitor?

When I ran OS X Lion (GM) with the DisplayLink drivers, I had a problem where I wasn't able to play videos in VLC, QuickTime, etc, nor was I able to watch flash on most websites such as YouTube.

So, will these problems be reintroduced if I install the new driver and what will the consequences of "no 3D acceleration" be? Is it system-wide or only for the DisplayLink-enabled monitor?

Thank you for your time.
The lack of 3D acceleration on DisplayLink driver doesn't impact on the 3D acceleration of the entire system. Just the DisplayLink-enabled screen won't have 3D acceleration (3D effects are rendered via software or using the internal GPU). There are particular applications that could show problems even on non-DisplayLink screen, just because of an missing or incorrect check on acceleration support.
The problems you reported are caused by an Apple bug on systems with a dual nvidia GPU setup. See this thread http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059.
Probably most of these bugs will be fixed in 10.7.2.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
kaufeenx

Default Update on 10.7.2

Has anyone yet tried one of the Developer releases of 10.7.2 to see if there is any change in functionality?

Tags
10.7.2, 3d acceleration, lion, opengl, os x