Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.3 Software Release

Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
pgerzani

Default Windows 7 - Poor image quality when rotated 'Portrait Mode' [Resolved with 5.4b1]

Hello,

I just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. I use a 3 monitor setup. The center monitor is in standard landscape, 1600x1200 and uses an NVidia 8800 GTS. The monitors on either side use DisplayLink USB video adapters and are rotated 90* to be vertical. The monitors are all identical Dell 2001FP 20" monitors.

The issue I am having is that the two monitors, only when rotated, have pretty poor image quality. This was not an issue in Windows XP.

It almost seems like it is not using the correct resolution, as when I maximize on one of the portrait monitors the edges are off the screen. The resolution is set to 1200x1600.

What is also odd is that Windows 7 says that the 'native resolution' is 1280x1024 on the side monitors, but not the primary. All 3 have a native resolution of 1600x1200.

I have tried disabling ClearType text, installing a 'decorated' version of the 2001FP monitor driver (to trick it into accepting it in 64 bit mode), all to no avail.

Does anyone else have any experience with a similar setup? Is this a known issue or is it something with my environment? Is there any way to force Windows 7 to treat the external display adapters as having a correct native resolution; perhaps via a registry tweak?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

-Patrick

Last edited by pgerzani; 07-02-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
pgerzani

Default Resolved with 5.4b1

I just installed the 5.4b1 build and my issue appears to be resolved. Excellent

Windows 7 still shows that the preferred resolution of the monitors is 1024x1280, but when I set it at 1200x1600 I no longer have the issue with poor image quality or with it expanding beyond the extents of the screen.

Cheers.