Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
taurus

Talking Drivers 5.3.1 new installaion feedback

Dear Jakub Dabrowski,

I have installed the latest driver 5.3.1 on my Linux Mint 19.3
(kernel 5.3.0-53-generic) and it looks much more stable comparing to the previous versions.
Still testing locally.

I would like to share the feedback with you about the installation process itself:

1) at some point installation has failed due to missing libc-dev dependency installed, I had to install it manually to proceed further:
> Commandline: apt-get install libc-dev
> Install: libc6-dev:amd64 (2.27-3ubuntu1), libc-dev-bin:amd64 (2.27-3ubuntu1, automatic)
Please consider to install it automatically in install_dependencies_apt()
(Unfortunately I did not copy the complete error message, but dkms failed to build something referencing to missing stdin.h).

2) you should check and mute "apt" output. On the very first installation during dependency check there is a moment when "apt --help" output is displayed on the screen and then the following question "Are you sure?". It confuses a lot. Consider to mute "apt usage" output.

3) Please check and request disconnect on the docking station on the very early stage
> Detected running Xorg session and connected docking station
> Please disconnect the dock before continuing
> Installation terminated.
Otherwise the installation can be aborted in the middle of the process.

4) the installer script cannot be easily restarted IF it has been aborted due to 1) (or even due to 3) above).
The error is says is smth "The previous version is already installed". AFAIU, it happens because the kernel module evdi is already loaded,
my workaround there was "sudo rmmod evdi" and restart displaylink-driver-5.3.1.34.run

5) it is hard to detect the currently installed version of displaylink driver.
The output "dpkg -l | grep displaylink" gives you nothing. Maybe you can consider to create proper Debian package (at least the fake/metapackage) just to store the currently installed version. You know, following standard Debian way will give you a lot of benefits from community.

6) Please announce new linux drivers availability better. I noticed it by luck only visiting displaylink WEB site.
Maybe I can subscribe to some notifications somewhere?
I was also asking smth similar here https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66920

Thank you for working on this! Finally I gave D6000 the second chance after collecting dust for almost a year!

Please don't stop on this point! Well done!

Last edited by taurus; 06-03-2020 at 08:46 AM.
taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
rjbathgate

6) Please announce new linux drivers availability better. I noticed it by luck only visiting displaylink WEB site.

Have you seen this?
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/notifications

I subscribed a while back and have since received email notification of the latest MacOS driver release (not helpful here, but confirms the notifications work...)
rjbathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbathgate View Post

Have you seen this?
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/notifications

I subscribed a while back and have since received email notification of the latest MacOS driver release (not helpful here, but confirms the notifications work...)
OK, thank you. Let me try. I prefer to receive Linux notification only.
taurus is offline   Reply With Quote