Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
2fourk

Default Can displaylink be only monitor

Hi all,
I'm a video artist and I'm trying to design a portable system and looking at the Asus 168B+ monitor to use, most of the time there will be monitors or projectors connected to the video card but sometimes not.

Can a display link monitor operate as primary monitor?

Does anyhow know or have any ideas?
Thanks
2fourk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
EddieMa

I did this with a mac mini years ago.

You need to have a normal display to install the drivers etc, but after that, you should be fine.
EddieMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
EddieMa

Also -- check this out -- some guy did this with what he calls a portable Mac Pro solution -- so yes, definitely still possible!

http://youtu.be/YTmDS-_SfpY
EddieMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
chmedly

Default as the only monitor

I have a 2008 macbook pro that had a faulty screen so I removed it and have been using it as a headless server for awhile. Last fall I bought a displaylink based usb to hdmi adaptor and did some experimenting. I found that it could pass audio passably, which is what I was mostly looking for at the time, but that video playback was not good. At the time I found that the computer won't boot unless a display of some sort is connected to the DVI connector. What I've been using is an Apple DVI to composite adaptor as a dummy plug. This allows the computer to boot. More recently I decided to use this computer as a desktop computer with the usb -> hdmi adaptor and had it working fine for a couple weeks. The HDMI screen was the primary and only screen. Then, after some software changes (plex media server) the machine froze and when I rebooted I discovered that the computer was sensing 2 monitors. The built-in video card was working what it thought was a composite display and the displaylink screen was the other. Now I can't figure out how to "remove" the composite one so that the only display in use is the 1080p displaylink one. Any suggestions? btw, this is with osX 10.6.8. I am hoping to move to 10.9.2 soon but it's looking like there might be some issues with the displaylink drivers with Mavericks...
chmedly is offline   Reply With Quote