Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
dylanparry

Default Windows 8 apps flashing/missing buttons

Hi,

Whenever I run a Windows 8 app, and my laptop is plugged into my displaylink dock, I get really strange behaviour on the external monitors. For example, the Netflix app will constantly flash between the app and a black screen; and the MS Weather app will be missing all the buttons until I hover over them with the mouse (the same effect happens in the Windows settings screens).

I’m using the latest drivers for the dock (7.3 M1, as of writing this), and have a Dell Inspiron 15R SE with Intel 4000 (driver 9.17.10.2849) and AMD Radeon HD 7700M (driver 12.104.0.0) switchable graphics. The dock is a Toshiba Dynadock u3.0. I’m running Windows 8 64-bit.

I run my laptop with the internal screen turned off when it’s plugged into the dock. If I try running apps on the internal screen, then they run just fine, regardless of whether the dock is connected or not—so I can use my laptop just fine when I’m out and about, but it’s a real PITA when it’s set up on my desk with two extra monitors.

I’ve also noticed that sometimes when I close programs (Opera Mail in particular) the laptop will go to a blue screen. I can’t be sure it’s being caused by the dock, but it’s only ever happened when the dock is connected, and I have to disconnect the power to the dock when rebooting as the screen shows the Windows desktop as it was when it crashed until I do that.

I’ve had a look through the forums, and I’m not sure whether other people are having the exact same problem as me—I’ve seen similar problems. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? If not, is there a fix in the works?

Thanks,

Dylan
dylanparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you run through these steps and post the logs if the issue persists?
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
dylanparry

Hi,

I went through the steps listed, and none of them applied. I’m using the latest drivers, all the software is running, etc.

I then had a bit of a disaster and my PC got hosed after installing some software for work, so I had to format it and reinstall Windows from scratch! I’ve now got to the point where everything is the same as it was before, and more importantly, I’ve just installed the graphics drivers—the problem I was having only appeared after installing the AMD Radeon HD 7700M (12.104.0.0) drivers.

So I’ve attached the logs as requested. Hopefully you can get something from them!

Cheers,

Dylan
Attached Files
File Type: zip DYLAN-LAPTOP_20130729_231121.zip (744.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
JamesH

Hi,

The netflix issue has been seen internally and is scheduled for investigation.

Regarding the blue screen when closing Opera - do you mean a blue screen of death or a blue display with no desktop showing?

Thanks,
James
Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
dylanparry

Good news on the Netflix issue, thanks.

With regards the blue screen, it's a BSOD that I'm seeing. It varies though—sometimes I get the BSOD on the external monitor, other times they appear to freeze and still shows the desktop with the BSOD appearing on the laptop screen. Occasionally there is no BSOD at all and just the frozen screens on the external monitors with the laptop screen remaining black.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
JamesH

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying - can you attach the minidump from when you get the BSOD? Should be in C:\Windows\Minidump\

Thanks,
James
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
dylanparry

I’ve not had a BSOD since formatting and reinstalling Windows, so with a bit of luck it’s all sorted, but if I get another one I’ll post the minidump here.

Tags
windows 8