Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
rkk

Question [Android] DisplayLink adopter worth for screen mirroring? CPU overhead? Latency?

Hi,

I have two Android devices (One with 1080p and another 2K ). Right now I'm using a Chromecast to mirror the screen of the devices, but the latency and image quality is pretty bad to use it for anything else than watching a movie from time to time. Also I travel a lot and having a good enough WiFi connection for Chromecast is not always possible, rendering the Chromecast useless for most of the time.

I've heard that DisplayLink works with some Android devices. I've been using DisplayLink devices in the past (3 or 4 years ago), but I was using it with PCs. I've just noticed that the CPU loved to spike when many things were going on on screen, which suggests to me that the image that is sent to the DisplayLink device is being rendered or processed on the CPU.

So going back to the original question. How does it look on Android? What devices are supported (Or what hardware is necessary) and what DisplayLink chip do I need to get at least a 1080p image to HDMI? How big is the CPU overhead, and how big is the latency when used with an Android device?

Greetings and thanks.

JUST AS EXTRA INFO IN CASE IT MATTERS:
The devices in question are:
- Motorola Moto G5 Plus (7.0)
- Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus (7.1.1)
rkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android