Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
nicolewells

Unhappy Windows 8 DisplayLink Issue

Hey Guys,

I recently performed a wipe and re-image of my ASUS G74SX laptop with a clean version of Windows 7 which I then upgraded with Windows 8 Pro. I then spent a couple of days installing all my standard apps and all seemed fine.

That was until I decided to update the display link software to the latest DisplayLink driver version (7.3M1) yesterday at which point my display when the Targus USB3.0 Dual Video Adapter was attached started showing instability.

The result of which is what looks to be the display link USB dropping out (with the USB disconnect noise) causing a display refresh of my 3 monitors down to 2 then the USB coming back (with the USB connect noise) causing another display refresh of my 3 monitors again showing all three again.

This happens at a random frequency of anything from 30 minutes to 5 seconds apart depending (I guess) on activity. It's almost like there is a crash/reset situation going.

I did have the occasional issue with one of the two Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controllers during my week of testing with the system where Windows would start up with this controller in an error state and some Google searches later I (may) have resolved that my disabling legacy USB support within the BIOS - something that fixed the issue for several others and (touch wood) seems to be working for me too.

So, in summary, 1 week of flawless 3 monitor usage until updating yesterday to the latest version of the display link software.

I have tried several options to uninstall display link software and graphics drivers and try reinstalling graphics from Windows Update and Display Link from previous good version (7.1M1) but even with Windows Update set to manual settings it eventually wants to update to the 7.3M1 version (7.4.50415.0)..

Any ideas?

My only option at the moment due to pure frustration with it has been to unplug the USB3.0 display device but this is an ultimately unacceptable solution.

Please find the collected debug support information below;

NWELLS_ASUS_20130826_114117.zip

Regards
Nicole Wells

Last edited by nicolewells; 08-26-2013 at 12:13 PM.
nicolewells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Ruud

Default Same issue again it seems..

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for pointing out the USB legacy support in the BIOS, I will check that out too.

Your issue looks very similar to the one we are all having: frequent blackouts/usb dock resets.
Have a look at this thread: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/sho...0&goto=newpost

In the last few pages of that thread a new possible solution is discussed: using Intel USB 3.0 drivers instead of the default Microsoft ones. It didn't work out for me, but for Splinx it did the trick.

Thanks,
Ruud
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
nicolewells

Hi Ruud,

Nice of you to point me at that however my laptop (ASUS G74SX) has a Fresco Logic rather than the Intel USB 3.0 chipset. I had already installed the latest driver for this chipset (being 3.5.100) from the Fresco Logic website.

Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Controller FL1000 Series driver information :-
> Windows Installed Version - 3.5.93.0 (02/11/2012)
> Updated from Web Version - 3.5.100.0 (03/07/2013)

This morning I got so annoyed with the continuous screen refreshing that I attempted another Display Link driver refresh. With the Targus device disconnected I removed and reinstalled the Display Link drivers by removing the existing (7.3M1), running the DL install cleaner and then installing the newest (7.4M0) driver. I then rebooted before reconnecting the Targus USB3.0 device.

Following the initial auto-screen-setup I then checked all related devices to un-tick the power save options - making sure that I was also on performance power mode.

This made no difference it seems as I still suffer the black outs and have had to once again unplug the Targus, reducing me back down to 2 screens again.

This is a stupid situation to be in given my usage of Windows 7 with Display Link for over a year now without issue only to get this issue with Windows 8.

Thanks,
Nicole xx
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Ruud

Default BIOS USB settings

Hi Nicole,

Sorry to hear that your dock isn't behaving as it should be.

Yesterday I also disabled some BIOS USB features.. haven't had any black-out since.
Since I also uninstalled/disabled other stuff, it cannot be sure it was the USB settings, but for me this more 'minimal' setup pays of so far.

Best regards,
Ruud

update: I just had a black-out.. but this time it took about 1,5 day which is probably my record.

Last edited by Ruud; 08-29-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: ..black-out..
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
JamesH

Hi,

Please try applying the attached registry patch which may help resolve the issues you are seeing. I would suggest a reboot after applying this.

Note that this won't affect any other host controllers - this is specific to those in your Asus notebook.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by JamesH; 09-01-2013 at 11:06 PM.
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
nicolewells

Hi James,

Thanks I will definitely give it a try this evening, so am I right in thinking that this parameter will disable the standby (U1 and U2) link states?

Thanks,
Nicole xx
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
JamesH

Hi,

Yes that's right.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
nicolewells

Hi James,

Well, I'm not going to tempt fate but I will say that this is the longest that I've gone without the Targus USB 3.0 Display Link device dropping out. Currently it's been a good (literally) 4 hours since I performed the registry update and rebooted my laptop with it plugged back in. Will confirm if tomorrow goes well.

Thanks,
Nicole xx
Old 08-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
nicolewells

Well, I'm going to put my neck on the line and say that the Fresco LPM power state parameter fix looks to be working.

Nice one James!!

Thanks,
Nicole xxx
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
willybob

Same issue here, asus Notebook U36SD, same Fresco Logic Driver, same everything, same screen disconnecting and reconnecting...
Anywhere to get this patch ?
willybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.3m1, asus, windows 8