Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
Ultroman

Unhappy CPU heat rises 10 degrees when moving the mouse

Hello

My laptop is:
Intel i7 2.2GHz Quadcore
Geforce 840M 2gb
4gb RAM
Windows 10

I play e.g. World of Warcraft at high settings at 1080p, and it is usually no problem. It's running about 35 fps, and my processor never gets above 72 degrees (6-14% CPU load).

I have purchased a Startech docking station (USB3SDOCKHDV). When I plug my monitor into the DVI- or HDMI-socket of the docking station, then plug the docking station into the laptop, and set the display to be "Only on 2" which is the secondary screen, it runs fine, at about the same temperature (72 degrees)...until I move my mouse. Then it instantly spikes to 95 degrees (28-35% CPU load), making my cooler go crazy, and fight to keep it around 86-88 degrees. When I stop moving the mouse, it plummets to 72-74 degrees in about 2 seconds. This means, that randomly it can get above 90 degrees for a few seconds in a row, at which point my laptop freezes, demanding me to push the power-button to restart it. It doesn't matter if the mouse is connected to the docking station or the laptop. It doesn't make a difference whether the laptop lid is open or closed.

If I instead plug the screen directly into the computer, and have all the rest of the hardware plugged into the docking station, there are no problems.

The laptop is completely clean, so it isn't a normal heating issue. What's going on?

Last edited by Ultroman; 03-18-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Ultroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpu, heat, mouse