Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 03-11-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
jjo

Default Any success with Plugable's UD-6950PDZ in Linux

This device https://plugable.com/products/ud-6950pdz, manufacturer clearly states no Linux support, but given that's a "DisplayLink" device, it shouid actually work.

Any non/success stories here ?

Thanks!
--jjo
jjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #2
ScreamCZE

I do not have any personal experience with this dock... but I would assume that they just do not want to deal with Linux users. Let's be honest, not that many people do use them, and (from my personal experience) there are so many things that may go wrong that they do not want their Support to deal with it.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:47 AM   #3
jjo

Default SUCCESS with Plugable's UD-6950PDZ in Linux :)

Answering myself here -- I went ahead and bought a Plugable UD-6950PDZ, and it just worked fine with DisplayLink (proprietary) drivers, using latest 5.5 Release at https://synaptics.com/products/displ...ads/ubuntu-5.5 .

Improvements I found, comparing with my (now)previous Dell D6000 Dock to run 3 external monitors plus builtin display (Thinkpad X1C9)

* run much-o-much cooler -- for the D6000 to be usable I had to install an external fan, to get a more/less stable workday without spontaneous resets
* less frequent resets (have one~two this 1st day trying it)
* coming back from inactivity (monitors output shut-off by Linux) is predictable w/same displays' layout -- kinda obvious you want this, but the D6000 sometimes did completely shut-off the HDMI output, needing a full hard-reset of it
* way more HDMI|DP options, as *each* of the 3 extn monitor ports has both (you need to choose one per port)
* more USB-3 outputs
jjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, plugable, triple display, ud-6950pdz