Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
2020vision
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 11
Default Your screen is being observed

Hi. Ever since I upgraded to Big Sur I get a notification on my lock screen "Your screen is being observed." Who is observing my screen and why is that message there? I didn't get this message on Catalina.

I'm the only user and administrator of the Mac.
2020vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020vision View Post
Hi. Ever since I upgraded to Big Sur I get a notification on my lock screen "Your screen is being observed." Who is observing my screen and why is that message there? I didn't get this message on Catalina.

I'm the only user and administrator of the Mac.
This is the result of the 'Screen Recording' permission that needs to be granted within the macOS Privacy settings. DisplayLink speaks to this in more detail here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

To quote from that page:

"NOTE: macOS Catalina 10.15 requires the user to permit "Screen Recording" in order for DisplayLink devices to work properly. The message is generated by the OS and the screen is not actually being recorded by DisplayLink. Approving it enables the DisplayLink driver to access the pixels it needs to render a mirrored or extended screen and send the pixels over USB from your computer to the DisplayLink display. DisplayLink Manager does not store or record any screen content."
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
HarryR
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
This is the result of the 'Screen Recording' permission that needs to be granted within the macOS Privacy settings. DisplayLink speaks to this in more detail here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

To quote from that page:

"NOTE: macOS Catalina 10.15 requires the user to permit "Screen Recording" in order for DisplayLink devices to work properly. The message is generated by the OS and the screen is not actually being recorded by DisplayLink. Approving it enables the DisplayLink driver to access the pixels it needs to render a mirrored or extended screen and send the pixels over USB from your computer to the DisplayLink display. DisplayLink Manager does not store or record any screen content."


DisplayLink - you do realize that this new permission is affecting the native Mac OS in that it will not allow my Apple Watch to unlock my Macbook? I think this is a permission that needs to be addressed and handled differently.
HarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:25 AM   #4
Alej
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryR View Post
DisplayLink - you do realize that this new permission is affecting the native Mac OS in that it will not allow my Apple Watch to unlock my Macbook? I think this is a permission that needs to be addressed and handled differently.
Seconded.
This is something that maybe DisplayLink and Co devs could bring and work with Apple itself. I also use Duet to connect an old legacy iPad Air as yet another extra screen and since it needs "screen recording" permissions it also blocks the convenient unlock via the Apple Watch.
Alej is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
observed, opsec

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.