Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
KeepitSharp

Default Windows 10 with Dell D3100 dock internet problem

I have had a new Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. It has been working well for months. Only recently, whilst using Firefox the browser would suddenly hang. After forcibly closing the program via Task Manager, I could no longer access the internet from the laptop. Even PING failed to work (General Failure error on any website). My other PCs could still access the internet via the same router.
I had to reboot and it was fine again. After this happened several times, I tried using Microsoft Edge instead. Same problem. Switched to Chrome. Same problem.
The OS is fully up-to-date and running McAfee Live Safe protection.
I have fully scanned the laptop and no malware shows up.
I have also ran Malwarebytes and no malware shows up.
I also use Malwarebytes Anti-exploit. So I turned that off. Same problem.
I have tried the suggestions in the Microsoft article Fix network connection issues in Windows 10
support.microsoft.com/.../windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues
I still get the same problem.

The network adapter shows an internet connection on IPv4. Windows Network Troubleshooter fails to find a problem.
It happens two or three times a day when I click on a web-page (different web-pages have the same effect). The only way to carry on is to reboot.
Also I am using a Dell D3100 Dock Station with DisplayLink Driver. The wired ethernet connection is via that device. However after the problem, I tried reconnecting to the internet using the laptop's own wired ethernet port. Same problem.
Any ideas?
KeepitSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
KeepitSharp

My problem seems solved. Robert from Dell pointed me at this link:

http://dell.to/2l3vK5S

This problem affects users with the DisplayLink driver and a Dell docking station.

Having applied the fix and used the PC over several days, the problem has not recurred.

One point I would add is when unistalling the DisplayLink driver you are asked if you wish to uninstall another program which depends on it. I replied yes uninstall it.
KeepitSharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d3100, internet