Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2022, 05:49 AM   #1
raaay68

Default Will a 10Gbps dock or better host CPU helps performance?

I'm now using 2020 Macbook Air and Dell D6000 (5Gbps) to drive two or three 4K monitors, depending on working.

After reading the thread https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67937, knowing that 5Gbps should be enough for multiple 4K monitors.

Still I can feel that monitors driven by DisplayLink has a bit more latency and less fluency, with the monitors set at 60Hz, it performs good on videos, but performs like 45Hz or something on web scrolling.

Another thing is that the colors may distorts. I use a terminal app with dark-grey background and white fonts, with contents changing, the background color may changes (e.g. to a lighter grey) and restores in a second. I wonder if the system detects it's on a high overload, or reached USB bandwidth limits, then it adaptively reduce the graph quality. This is not appears very often to me, so I'm not sure if this maybe already fixed in recent versions.

Mostly the performance it's acceptable (or say great, considering USB is not designed for graphics), but I still wonder which could helps improve the performance: maybe 10Gbps dock could helps reduce latency by higher bandwidth; maybe M1 chip on MacBook Air is not enough to streaming multiple 4K graphics at realtime; or maybe display-link has it limits (e.g. processing graphics always takes time, or USB always creates latency on transfering data, no matter how large the bandwidth is).

If 10Gbps USB could reduce latency, I think I'm happy to upgrade to a 10Gbps dock, else I think I may replace my MacBook Air in sometime...
raaay68 is offline   Reply With Quote