Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
kagaku

Default Mouse Lag on Windows 8

If you're experiencing mouse lag on Windows 8 - someone in this forum (I can't find the post, sorry!) mentioned turning on mouse trails, but with the trail length set to the minimum. As odd as it sounds, this actually works. Since I turned on mouse trails, I have had almost zero mouse cursor lag. Feels like it did on Windows 7! You'll barely notice the mouse trails (after an hour I didn't).

My guess is something with mouse trails kicks changes something that lets the displaylink drivers work correctly. Regardless of how it works, it does - give it a shot if you're experiencing this problem.
kagaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
luiset83

I will try it out over this next week and see if it helps. I haven't had much of a lag, as much as it is a freeze for maybe a second at a time... but it's sporadic, I can't tell why it happens. Is this the case for you as well, or is it a more pronounced lag that always happens?
luiset83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Kaldek

I have weird mouse pausing as well, along with my Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard constantly dropping out and needing me to remove and re-insert the USB dongle.

I've tried a few mice, all of them are suffering the pausing. I'd call it either pausing or choppiness.

I'm using a Surface Pro with v7.2 DisplayLink drivers on a Kensington sd3500v dual DVI USB 3.0 dock.
Kaldek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Kaldek

7.2M1 seems to have stopped my keyboard dropping out, but my USB mouse is still very inaccurate and pauses all the time.

The odd thing though is that if I move the mouse while the cursor isn't responding, the input gets buffered and the cursor will respond to that input after the pause.
Kaldek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
krisha

I also have similiar issues with mouse lag on win7 x64:

sporadic long mouse stuck
Mouse cursor freezes on a position for 1-2 seconds. Maybe the complete screen is freezing during this time. Moving the mouse is still possible but will only be shown after the delay on screen. Happens sporadic and not so often.

predictable short mouse stuck
Hovering mouse over buttons that change the background color or changing of the cursor form (text, arrow, hand) during movement let the mouse cursor stuck for some milliseconds at the position. After the delay mouse is shown at the correct position.

For both issues it does not matter if I connect my mouse to the USB hub of displaylink or directly to the PC. The mouse cursor on the native screen is never affected. Mouse trails do not help.

Last edited by krisha; 05-27-2013 at 12:18 AM.
krisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
jim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisha View Post
I also have similiar issues with mouse lag on win7 x64:

sporadic long mouse stuck
Mouse cursor freezes on a position for 1-2 seconds. Maybe the complete screen is freezing during this time. Moving the mouse is still possible but will only be shown after the delay on screen. Happens sporadic and not so often.

predictable short mouse stuck
Hovering mouse over buttons that change the background color or changing of the cursor form (text, arrow, hand) during movement let the mouse cursor stuck for some milliseconds at the position. After the delay mouse is shown at the correct position.

For both issues it does not matter if I connect my mouse to the USB hub of displaylink or directly to the PC. The mouse cursor on the native screen is never affected. Mouse trails do not help.
Try moving the wireless receiver away from the USB3 port. Use an USB cable extension or usb hub to plug the receiver into, so that it can be positioned further away from the USB3 port. (I read somewhere that wireless receivers should not be near the USB3 port.) It improved my wireless mouse when I used a USB2 hub in my USB3 port.
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
krisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim8 View Post
Try moving the wireless receiver away from the USB3 port. Use an USB cable extension or usb hub to plug the receiver into, so that it can be positioned further away from the USB3 port. (I read somewhere that wireless receivers should not be near the USB3 port.) It improved my wireless mouse when I used a USB2 hub in my USB3 port.
I'm using a wired USB mouse but I also think more it's something that needs to be fixed in displaylink drivers (at least the mini lag). Maybe it is also related to my screen resolution (16yy x 10yy).
krisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
jim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisha View Post
I'm using a wired USB mouse but I also think more it's something that needs to be fixed in displaylink drivers (at least the mini lag). Maybe it is also related to my screen resolution (16yy x 10yy).
That's not good. I'm using DVI at 1920x1200. Luckily there aren't any display errors else it'd really drive me crazy..
jim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Wim

For the momentary freezing issue, can you try the test build attached to this post in another thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showpos...1&postcount=77

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Jeppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
For the momentary freezing issue, can you try the test build attached to this post in another thread:

http://displaylink.org/forum/showpos...1&postcount=77

Wim
Hi

I just tried the patch on my HP 3005pr port replicator using a wired mouse running under Windows 8 and it unfortunately didn't fix the lag problem. The problem is only apparent on the screen that is running through the port replicator. I'm running a Samsung SyncMaster SA850D at 2560x1440 resolution through the Displayport output port from the port replicator.

/Jeppe
Jeppe is offline   Reply With Quote