Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Ren

Just ordered a refurb apple tv 3rd gen from the apple store for $75. The displaylink adapter is going on craigslist....
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
emmgee

Can you share the details of the networking? I use my MacBook Pro at home and at work. I have gigabit at home and could easily put an Apple TV on my home switch but at work I would think I'd have to have a dedicated switch that was on its own network. My company wouldn't allow the ATV on the corporate LAN.
emmgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #13
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmgee View Post
Can you share the details of the networking? I use my MacBook Pro at home and at work. I have gigabit at home and could easily put an Apple TV on my home switch but at work I would think I'd have to have a dedicated switch that was on its own network. My company wouldn't allow the ATV on the corporate LAN.
Everything is wired on my home gigabit network, but the Apple TV is only 100mb ethernet. I monitored the bandwidth usage on my Mac when airplaying and believe it or not it's only around one megabyte a second at 720p.

I think the reason wired is better isn't because of bandwidth but less latency and no dropped frames. If the computer is wired and the Apple TV is wireless the experience is better, but not amazing. I can't wait try full 1080p.

One quirk I noticed is that when I was watching a full screen YouTube video on my main display the Apple TV would stop mirroring after 10 or so minutes. I'm guessing it's som kind of activity timer. Hopefully I can get around it.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote