Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
MJedi

Default Does USB 3.0 Improve Performance?

Hello all,

I'm using a USB 2.0-based DVI adapter on Mavericks and it works fine, except for the mouse cursor not being as smooth when moving it around on the screen. No big deal. I figure it was the limitation of USB 2.0

I see that USB 3.0 display adapters are available. I'm wondering if these adapters improve display performance, and will the mouse cursor move smoother? All I've read is that it supports higher-resolution displays.

Thanks.
MJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
kenniki

I don't think it will.
I run my DL USB 2 adapter on a 10 port hub with a load of other devices and it's just as fast as if I plugged it into a dedicated USB port with no other USB devices connected.
My guess is that DL doesn't nearly use up the bandwidth USB 2.0 provides.
kenniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
BMT

I ordered a USB 3 -> HDMI (DL-3500 based) device for home which should arrive some time next week, if no one else has responded by then I'll let you know how I get on with it.
I'm currently using a USB 2 -> HDMI (DL-165 based, I believe) device at work so I'll be able to compare it to that.

My Mac however, is a MacBookPro6,1 (Mid 2010) so only has USB 2 and you'll have to keep that in mind when I provide any results.

Most poor performance however is also due to the Mac DisplayLink drivers. If you're not already using them give the 2.2 Beta drivers a try as they definitely improve performance.

Last edited by BMT; 05-20-2014 at 03:38 PM.
BMT is offline   Reply With Quote