Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
alphadog

Default laptop monitor shown when lid is closed

I tried reconfiguring things and the new OS X Beta - 13D55 - with 2.2 Beta

I have 2 monitors via Displaylink Toshiba Dynadoc (HDMI & DVI) and that seems to be OK so far. The apple icon is missing on one, but the rest of the icons seem to be displaying ok along the menu bar - so that is an improvement.

Before I had one connected via Display port. Under that config, when the laptop lid is closed I only see the 2 external monitors when i set up the arrangement.

With 2 monitors connected via displaylink I see 3 monitors in the arrangement tab - one is the laptop even though the lid is closed.

Is this a Displaylink bug? Is there a way to remove the laptop from this?
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
alphadog

As a follow up, the laptop display is off - with lid closed, or using magnet to fool MBA into thinking lid is closed - but something in displaylink driver is not letting MBA realize it is connected to just external monitors.

Works fine if one monitor is connected via displayport. I really don't want to swap over to all thunderbolt, but this is frustrating.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
alphadog

Moved back to one displaylink and one displayport monitor - i only see 2 monitors in the monitor setup now - so having an external displayport monitor tells the laptop to shutoff the laptop screen when lid is closed - not show it in the list.

Interestingly the missing icon issue is back in the menu bar - but it is the displaylink monitor that is missing the icons - only for chrome notification. The apple icon is on both.

Also, before doing this, i plugged in the displaylink dock with lid shut..... bad mistake. locked up my laptop and only a hard power off would fix it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Carlo
Mac Team

Hi alphadog,

Clamshell mode can only be triggered with at least one external screen connected to the built-in GPU. This is a long standing OS X limitation, I'm not aware of special settings or workarounds.

The lockup after plugging in the dock is very worrying, we'll try to reproduce on our MBAs.

Carlo
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote