Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Saturn2888

Default Firefox 4, Movies, and Netflix no longer working

I can no longer get Firefox 4, Movies, or Netflix working with any of my DisplayLink monitors or adapters. I've tried both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 Professional on Intel and AMD graphics respectively to no avail. I don't know what happened, but it used to work in 5.6 and no longer does.

I tried both 5.6.30986 and 5.6.31870. I even reverted back to 5.6.30986 thinking that would solve it, nope. I've even restarted many times. I think it used to work in 5.6.29529 (the beta from January 2011 http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=572), but I cannot confirm that at this time. Is there any reason for this to have stopped working? Is there any way to fix it?

Attached is my DL_support_tool log from after I reverted back to 5.6.30986.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20110509_003253.zip (1.14 MB, 1 views)
Saturn2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Wim

Are you using Basic mode? I should be able to tell from the log file, but it hasn't logged it.

Windows update broke the video in basic mode implementation last month, so video will only work in Aero mode on Windows 7 at the moment.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Saturn2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Are you using Basic mode? I should be able to tell from the log file, but it hasn't logged it.

Windows update broke the video in basic mode implementation last month, so video will only work in Aero mode on Windows 7 at the moment.

Wim
Oh I see, so that's what that post was about. Basic, does that also include Classic (Win95) mode? That's what I'm using so it may affect it.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
malefactor

Any status on this? Really need a fix. I don't use all that fancy windows 7 visual stuff, and don't want it--It's distracting and frankly, gets in the way of doing real work.
malefactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Saturn2888

Strangely enough, I haven't seen an update around here in a while. I also want this fixed since, while it was Microsoft who broke it, DisplayLink is the one still with the technology and the only group that can fix said bug. I'm curious what's required to fix it even or who you need to go to so you can address the issue.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
RW20087

Default FireFox 4 issue RESOLVED

This little bug was getting on my nerves. I have Windows 7 x64 with the newly released SP1. I personally hate Aero themes, because I think they are clunky and heavy handed. Besides that, I seem to get a little more performance from the classic mode.

I found it unusual that the issues that I was having only seemed to happen when using FF4 and above. I tried everything; e.g. reinstalled all drivers, different combinations of legacy drivers, etc, etc.

This morning I realized it HAD to be something with FF. So in FF, under Tools > Options > Advanced, I unchecked the option for "Use hardware acceleration when possible". Everything seems to work perfectly now. BTW, I also have the "Optimize for Video" option enabled in the DisplayLink tray utility.

Now I can calm the heck down and focus on some work.

Last edited by RW20087; 09-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.
RW20087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Saturn2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW20087 View Post
This little bug was getting on my nerves. I have Windows 7 x64 with the newly released SP1. I personally hate Aero themes, because I think they are clunky and heavy handed. Besides that, I seem to get a little more performance from the classic mode.

I found it unusual that the issues that I was having only seemed to happen when using FF4 and above. I tried everything; e.g. reinstalled all drivers, different combinations of legacy drivers, etc, etc.

This morning I realized it HAD to be something with FF. So in FF, under Tools > Options > Advanced, I unchecked the option for "Use hardware acceleration when possible". Everything seems to work perfectly now. BTW, I also have the "Optimize for Video" option enabled in the DisplayLink tray utility.

Now I can calm the heck down and focus on some work.
I'm sorry to say that you didn't fix the problem at all. In fact, this is not Mozilla's fault, it's Microsoft's, but because they do not make the DisplayLink driver, then the issue is with DisplayLink. Disabling accelerated graphics is only a workaround, not a fix. Preferrably, you should be able to use Firefox, or any other application, that uses acceleration in your DisplayLink devices with non-Aero configurations in Windows because this used to work even though it no longer works now.

There's no reason to accept a workaround as a solution. Sure it fixes it only with Firefox, but then that also breaks all acceleration which newer versions of Firefox benefit from.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
RW20087

Well they should get on it or hire some developers who are up to the task. This bug has been around for a while. Having someone from their company chime in and suggest using an Aero theme is ridiculous.

The symptom is with how newer versions of FF are handling hardware acceleration, as opposed to older versions. Maybe they should start there.

Last edited by RW20087; 09-12-2011 at 12:53 PM.
RW20087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Saturn2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW20087 View Post
Well they should get on it or hire some developers who are up to the task. This bug has been around for a while. Having someone from their company chime in and suggest using an Aero theme is ridiculous.

The symptom is with how newer versions of FF are handling hardware acceleration, as opposed to older versions. Maybe they should start there.
Oh, they know the issue and what's wrong because they can tell you that it specifically was Microsoft's fault in one of their updates. The thing is, they've never stated if it's possible to fix or not and if not, why they haven't gone to Microsoft to get it changed. There's no reason the API from Microsoft should fail if Aero is off since some systems can't even use Aero.

It's more important to explain if it's fixable, why it's not (if not), and how long it's going to take. And honestly, I don't believe anything's not able to be fixed or I could just sell off the DisplayLink hardware I've already purchased as it's fairly useless if I can't put applications in any of 'em.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Saturn2888

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry0503222 View Post

That's what we were just talking about. And it broke sometime in February to March which is why we're both peeved it hasn't been fixed yet. Not to mention some other bugs which I wholly dislike associated with OpenGL, but I'd rather not go into those because I can't even use the monitors for hardly anything anymore anyway.