Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
toddbecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello Todd,
Thank you for registering and posting your logs.
I can see on line 6193 of setupapi.dev.log that the device was connected once at the time following:
>>> [Device Install (Hardware initiated) - USB\VID_17E9&PID_4307&MI_02\7&86024b1&0&0002]
>>> Section start 2018/01/26 14:54:20.813

When you clicked on gather logs, was the device powered and connected?
It's not visible in Device Manager and there's no DisplayLinkManager.log in the ZIP, which suggests the driver has never been started (or there was an error at collection).

Kind regards,
Alban
Alban, thank you for the response. Yes, the device was powered on and connected when I collected the logs (I typed the original post using a keyboard also attached to the Sabrent dock).

What next?
toddbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #12
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
I'm afraid we have still been unable to recreate the failure despite days on trying combinations.

Would you please be able to answer the following few questions? I understand you may not remember everything, so anything would be useful at this stage.

Which DisplayLink driver version was installed at the moment of failure? From the logs it looks that there was 8.4M0 installed, however some of bits of information from other logs are pointing that there might be earlier version 8.3M0?
Did you get a notification from Windows after the flight of the Insiders Build 17074 finished which was moaning about compatibility?

To help us on the reproduction, can you tell what was the layout (dock only display, extended desktop, clone/mirror)? Were you using two monitors?

Is this situation persistent or did you recover from the failure? If so, would you remember how you recovered?

Do you also happen to remember which Windows 10 Build you were running before 17074? We've tried a combination of upgrade paths, with different screen layouts, with different DisplayLink driver installed before/after the flight and we still have zero failure reproduced... We are blocked.
Microsoft has stopped flighting 17074, but still have access to the ISO. Maybe you have already received the new build and have an update on behaviour.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #13
toddbecker

Quote:
Which DisplayLink driver version was installed at the moment of failure? From the logs it looks that there was 8.4M0 installed, however some of bits of information from other logs are pointing that there might be earlier version 8.3M0?
I had originally installed 8.4M0, that never worked. I don't believe that I installed any previous versions until after I collected the logs that I submitted. I did uninstall 8.4 and try 8.3, but that did not work either.

Quote:
Did you get a notification from Windows after the flight of the Insiders Build 17074 finished which was moaning about compatibility?
I am not sure what you mean by this, I received the new machine from my IT team and all updates have been installed, I have not seen any compatibility notifications.

Quote:
To help us on the reproduction, can you tell what was the layout (dock only display, extended desktop, clone/mirror)? Were you using two monitors?
I am attempting to extend the desktop, however, Windows is not recognizing a second screen.

Quote:
Is this situation persistent or did you recover from the failure? If so, would you remember how you recovered?
I am not sure what you mean by this, there haven't been any 'falures' aside from not being able to configure the second screen.

Quote:
Do you also happen to remember which Windows 10 Build you were running before 17074? We've tried a combination of upgrade paths, with different screen layouts, with different DisplayLink driver installed before/after the flight and we still have zero failure reproduced... We are blocked.
Microsoft has stopped flighting 17074, but still have access to the ISO. Maybe you have already received the new build and have an update on behaviour.

Kind regards,
Alban
As I indicated above, I received the machine from IT with all the updates completed and then installed DisplayLink, it has never worked on this machine.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #14
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Well... The title of the thread says "no monitors after W10 update" so I wrongly assumed it worked before.
Also it is not very natural for IT departments to give Windows Insider's Fast Ring builds to end users as they are supposed to be unstable and are unsuitable for production deployment, so I also assumed, wrongly again, that you were in full control of the machine and enrolled yourself to the programme.

1. Is the docking station working on another machine? (including using the same cables as the ones on your desk)
2. Is the machine working with another docking station? (changing everything including cables).
3. Can you try on your machine with a USB2.0 only cable?
From what we can see, it seems to be only on your configuration, so it could simply be a hardware fault.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #15
toddbecker

Quote:
Well... The title of the thread says "no monitors after W10 update" so I wrongly assumed it worked before.
Also it is not very natural for IT departments to give Windows Insider's Fast Ring builds to end users as they are supposed to be unstable and are unsuitable for production deployment, so I also assumed, wrongly again, that you were in full control of the machine and enrolled yourself to the programme.

1. Is the docking station working on another machine? (including using the same cables as the ones on your desk)
2. Is the machine working with another docking station? (changing everything including cables).
3. Can you try on your machine with a USB2.0 only cable?
From what we can see, it seems to be only on your configuration, so it could simply be a hardware fault.

Kind regards,
Alban
Alban, sorry about the confusion (or lack of clarity) thank you for continuing to work through this.

1 - I have a second, brand new laptop (running W10) and the docking station is not working with it. I have an older laptop running W7 that is working.

2 - I do not have any other DisplayLink based docking stations. My work Surface (Pro 3) does work using the MS Surface docking station.

3 - I will have to see if I have a USB2.0 cable that will work with the Sabrent dock (I am thinking an old USB printer cable should work).

Todd
Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Todd,
As well as trying the USB2.0 cable, would you please be able to gather the logs from the Windows 7 machine?
It would give me some information on the docking station factory image.
Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #17
Dannyheg

Default No monitors under Win 10.

Hello guys,

I have the same problem as you recognized here with my ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock station.

When I installed the latest DisplayLink drivers (v. 8.4 M0) everything works well on my Win7 laptop (with USB 2.0).

But when I try to connect dock to Win10 laptop (Win 10 Enterprise, v. 1607, build 14393.2007) or my another Win10 laptop (v. 1709, build 16299.192) with the same drivers from DisplayLink I cannot see my screens.
I checked device manager when dock is plugged in, and seems that under Display adapters I haven't DisplayLink...

When I tried connection 1st time, everything worked well, but when I disconnect USB dock and connect it again after some time, I have explained problem. This appears after restart.

I tried to reinstall drivers, clean, install newest ones - problem appears still.
Logs from Win 10 Enterprise, v. 1607, build 14393.2007 attached.

Do you have some tips related to this issue?

Thanks for them!

Best Regards, Daniel
Attached Files
File Type: zip dannyheg_20180212_064113.zip (393.2 KB, 1 views)
Dannyheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #18
toddbecker

Quote:
Hello Todd,
As well as trying the USB2.0 cable, would you please be able to gather the logs from the Windows 7 machine?
It would give me some information on the docking station factory image.
Kind regards,
Alban
Alban, the USB 2.0 cable did not work.

Also, I do not have access to the Windows 7 machine anymore, I cannot gather logs.

Todd
Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #19
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Todd,
I need to think longer then...
Would you have an Android phone by any chance? If you could connect the dock to it, we can check what takes place. Then, there is a reporting feature in the DisplayLink Android application which can then tell me what took place whilst talking to the dock. That is similar to plugging it to a Windows computer with a 8.0 level driver.

Hello Danny,
Thank you for the log. From this, I can see no DisplayLink chip was ever seen on that machine and it looks like 8.2 Mx is installed. I see you have a machine on which it works. This would be very helpful if you could do the following , please:
1. Connect the dock to the Windows 10 v1607 machine, wait one minute, in case it does something...
2. Connect the dock to your Windows 7 machine and, when you have the desktop displayed, gather logs on that Windows 7 machine.
That won't tell me what took place on the Windows 10 v1607, but it might help me understand the state by looking at what is taking place from the connection of the device.

I am also thinking about trying a previous version of our driver on the Windows 7 machine before going to the Windows 10 machine to change the state of the dock before you connect to the Windows 10, as you indicated it has worked at first connect, but it's a quite cumbersome.

Both,
I am obviously not suggesting these as a long term solution but I'm eager to get you both going again.
Also, I will discuss with some colleagues to get exchange ideas. I might create a support ticket if I need to exchange privately with you. Emails would come from technical_enquiries@displaylink.com.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-15-2018, 05:23 AM   #20
Dannyheg

Hello Alban and Todd,

I got logs from Win7 machine, hope they are helpful for both of us.
According to my personal problem, I tried the newest driver (8.4 M0) and I had still problem. On Lenovo forum they replied to another (but partly similar) issue by "turn off" and "turn on" of docking station - didn't help for me. So I installed 8.2 version again...

So now I haven't machine where displays works with Win10 OS. I checked devices under Settings and my OS is able to recognize ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock and was connected, but DisplayLink cannot recognize monitors.

I discussed this with IT architect and he told me, if some drivers (default from Win10 and DisplayLink) are not in collision with this dock.
I also tried another cable, because sometimes I had info that USB was not recognized properly - with no effect. At work we are using Targus docking stations, I connected both and Targus was recognized propertly in a seconds and in Device manager under Display adapters i had Targus dock station - and monitor worked.
This not happened with Lenovo dock...

If you have some another tips or can compare Win7 and Win 10, it will be very helpful... I think for both of us.

Also one latest info - I tried connection with another Win10 machine from my colleague - the same problem and I tried connection with Apple MacBook with DisplayLink software installed - the same problem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ACER-PC_20180215_070416.zip (1.43 MB, 2 views)
Dannyheg is offline   Reply With Quote