Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
longplaypg

Default XPS 13 Kensington Sd3500v disconnects

Dell XPS 13 (L322X)
Kensington sd3500v (dual display)
http://www.kensington.com/kensington...(sd3500v).aspx

Anker USB 3.0 dual display
http://www.ianker.com/product/68ANDOCKS-BA

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
8.00G Ram

Displaylink USB Graphics Software for Windows 7.4 M0 22 Aug 2013
USB 3.0 Driver: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host controller driver for intel 7 chipset family v1.0.9.254 08/15/2013 (directly from intel since dell's is older and this was recommended in displaylink knowledge base)

Unit disconnects, video returns to laptop display, initializes again and eventually returns to displaylink monitors
Network will drop during this on displaylink Ethernet

Left USB 3.0 Powershare port has the most problems!
Right USB 3.0 port seems the most stable.

Configured the laptop so that the lid could be closed and only the dual displaylink displays were active. Ended up pulling the units from the user as nothing seemed to fix the issue. A replacement laptop has been dispatched, but after testing with 2 different systems this week that will not fix the ultimate problem. We have tested with 2 different Kensington Sd3500v units and 1 Anker Dual Video unit.

Current configuration for testing...
Touchpad disabled when external mouse connected through touchpad software.
USB keyboard and mouse plugged into displaylink
Wireless disabled with softkeys
Ethernet plugged in 1G switch
HDMI to HDMI/dvi adapter to dvi on monitor
dvi to dvi/vga adapter to vga on monitor
2 dell 2208wfp monitors
power pack plugged in and power light nice blue glow
headphones and mic plugged into displaylink

User boots laptop with displaylink USB connected
Waits for monitors to display desktop
Connects to RDP of remote computer using all displays (2 displaylink only ones active at the time, laptop display turned off or lid closed)
Randomly the screens go blank, RDP indicates a disconnection, sometimes it will reconnect on its own and the RDP will have to be maximized 2 times to get the display across both display again. Sometimes it can't connect again the RDP session times out.

All programs are ran on the RDP session and no other local programs are usually active. During my testing I left the resource monitor, support tool, network properties, network details, and mspaint opened on the local laptop. inside the RDP session I used Windows 8, IE, Araxis merge, Outlook 2013, Skype, and file explorer. I could not associate it to using any of those programs in the RDP session.

I collected some logs in advance mode using the support tool. I also had the win 7 resource monitor open and included a screenshot. I notice that about the time there is an issue that there is also major cpu usage also. The included screenshot is as soon as I had enough control again to start the support tool and take a screenshot.

I also tested with a way older laptop without only 2.0 USB. I noticed when using all 3 displays that the resource monitor would be high, drop to 0 on everything, the disconnect would happen, and then it would return to the high spot, and then eventually calm down.

Attached is the report from the XPS and screen cap shortly after I had control of the computer again.

What is going on here? 3 different units, 2 different computers, 2 different RDP computers. Interesting it happened once while I was generating this post and has not happened since. I expect it will return at some point so I know it can work properly sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displaylink 20130919 0755.jpg (109.6 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSSM-SANDIEWIFI_20130919_075527.zip (1.65 MB, 4 views)
longplaypg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Can you try a different USB 3.0 cable?

The support logs contain a lot of USB connection errors.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
longplaypg

Ok I only have the 3 cables that came with the 3 units we purchased. Since all 3 units display this issue I am not certain I have a cable that works. I will go ahead and borrow the cable from the Anker unit and use it on the Kensington unit just to see what happens.

I did have another issue today before the cable swap and gathered information it if you are interested.

Update 1:
Using the Anker cable now. Did you want the debug information reset?

Update 2:
Well that was fast... Already had the issue
Powered off the laptop
Powered off the Kensington unit
Swap USB cables with the Anker unit
Powered everything back up and went back to my RDP session

Attached are the debug logs without reset and a screen shot right after the problem happened and I had control of the laptop. I then ran the debug tool gather routine.

Was reading items in IE, had Outlook 2013 open, and file explorer open inside the RDP session. Laptop had displaylink support tool, mspaint, resource monitor, Ethernet properties, and Ethernet properties details open at the time.

Update 3:
Attachments for 1318 and 1323 were added. This time I took the screen shot, gathered the logs, and pasted the screen to mspaint with save. I should have labeled the jpg 1318 instead of 1323 oh well.

RDP Session was in IE reading a page and dragging the scroll bar down to load more. Other active programs on RDP session Outlook 2013 and Skype.

Local laptop with displaylink had my normal resource monitor, Ethernet properties, Ethernet details, and displaylink support tool in advance mode open.

Still using the Anker 3.0 cable that was provided with the Anker unit on the Kensington unit.

Update 4:
So did these reports using the different cable have the same issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displaylink 20130920 1247.jpg (106.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg displaylink 20130920 1323.jpg (109.1 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSSM-SANDIEWIFI_20130920_124646.zip (4.36 MB, 3 views)
File Type: zip CSSM-SANDIEWIFI_20130920_132318.zip (4.63 MB, 2 views)

Last edited by longplaypg; 09-27-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
longplaypg

The XPS 13 is in the process of being returned to Dell.

Currently I have a Latitude D420 hooked up to the Anker USB 3.0 Dual video with the Kensington USB 3.0 cable to a 2.0 USB port. I noticed something interesting when the problems started to occur the CPU , Disk, Network, and Memory charts would flatline. During the period of flatline requests would be cached and processed once the system returned to activity.

The screenshot is just after I started the Gather Support Information and shows the previous flatline activity period. The RDP windows were just starting to refresh.

Are you seeing USB errors even on this USB 2.0 laptop?
Are you seeing USB errors in the previous XPS 13 with new cable reports above?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg displaylink 20130925 1038.jpg (102.6 KB, 1 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSSM-NETBOOK-09_20130925_103848.zip (813.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
longplaypg

New XPS 13 and Kensington SD3500v using Anker USB 3.0 Cable
The screens went black and the RDP windows were displayed over on the original display instead of the extra displaylink displays.

Displaylink 20131001 1125.jpg shows how the full screen RDPS moved to the original display and the full screen marker present on one

Displaylink 20131001 1126.jpg shows the resource monitor with the RDP windows minimized

Is this new laptop also showing a lot of USB errors?

Installed the recommended USB 3.0 driver and latest Displaylink driver 7.4M0.

Update 1:
Happened at least 5 times today now. Powered down the laptop and plugged into the right USB port instead of the left one. I forgot to power down the Kensington to completely clear it out also. Oh well at least now I hope to get some work done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Displaylink 20131001 1126.jpg (109.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Displaylink 20131001 1125.jpg (107.6 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSSM-WAF_20131001_112520.zip (471.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by longplaypg; 10-01-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
longplaypg

Things went pretty smooth on the right port. I had 1 RDP disconnect that lasted about 2 seconds max. No other RDP session indicated the disconnect and the screens did not go black. I ran a little over a day with some staff interruptions so I may have missed it if it did happen

Preparing the laptop for the end user I disconnected everything, powered off everything, removed the USB 3.0 cable, connected a USB 2.0 cable with ferrite cores between the dock and laptop USB instead. It is currently connected to the left port which is notorious for issues. I briefly saw 2 USB indicators in the notification area that were going to tell me my device could preform faster. Now its time to use it and see if it goes all messed up.

Dell XPS 13 Intel USB
USB 2.0 cable (left USB SS 3.0 with powershare)
Kensington SD3500v (main USB SS 3.0 port)

Items connected to the SD3500V ports
Plantronics headset plugged into headphone and mic ports
USB 2.0 cable to dell usb port 2208wfp
Ethernet cat 6 to 1gig switch
DVI to VGA adapter to first 2208wfp (1680 x 1050)
hdmi to dvi adapter to second 2208wfp (adapter on dvi of 2208wfp) (1680 x 1050)
external power

items connect to the 2208wfp usb port
dell usb keyboard
dell usb mouse
Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
longplaypg

Dell XPS 13 L322X
Left USB 3.0 superspeed powershare
USB 2.0 A male B male with dual ferrite cores
Kensington SD3500V
Wireless disabled (no Bluetooth, no wifi)

Kensington SD3500V connected items
Plantronics headset to headphone and mic
USB 2.0 A male to B male with dual ferrite cores to 2208WFP
Ethernet cat 6 to 1gig switch
DVI to VGA adapter to 2208WFP (#2)
HDMI to DVI adapter to 2208WFP (#3)
USB 3.0 port connected via USB 2.0 cable to laptop
Power Supply

2208WFP USB connected items
Dell mouse
Dell Keyboard

Several RDP sessions open on single screens
#2 showing RDP to WIN 8 machine, adobe acrobat, reading intel wireless and USB 3.0 report full screen
#3 showing RDP to win xp machine, araxis merge full screen comparing files and folders
2 Other RDP sessions hidden behind this one and not visible
#1 laptop display you can see in the screenshot, Ethernet propteries and details, displaylink support tool, resource monitor

Interesting enough when the screen stopped refreshing I could move the mouse and see it on all 3 displays. The displaylink displays did not go black. Eventually the RDP I was interacting with displayed the disconnect warning and that it would try to reconnect. I move the mouse to the laptop screen and took a snapshot. When the snapshot was taken it was right after the reconnect went away the screen refreshed. Shortly after that the xp machine screen did the timeout warning and refreshed a couple of seconds later. The logs were gathered between these 2 events as I had clicked the gather button shortly after taking the snapshot.

displaylink support tool was set to advanced mode, the debug information was reset, and left running several hours before the event occurred.

Do these logs indicate noise in the USB like my original post did?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Displaylink 20131004 0838.jpg (108.7 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSSM-SANDIEXPS_20131004_083858.zip (593.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by longplaypg View Post
Ok I only have the 3 cables that came with the 3 units we purchased. Since all 3 units display this issue I am not certain I have a cable that works. I will go ahead and borrow the cable from the Anker unit and use it on the Kensington unit just to see what happens.

I did have another issue today before the cable swap and gathered information it if you are interested.

Update 1:
Using the Anker cable now. Did you want the debug information reset?

Update 2:
Well that was fast... Already had the issue
Powered off the laptop
Powered off the Kensington unit
Swap USB cables with the Anker unit
Powered everything back up and went back to my RDP session

Attached are the debug logs without reset and a screen shot right after the problem happened and I had control of the laptop. I then ran the debug tool gather routine.

Was reading items in IE, had Outlook 2013 open, and file explorer open inside the RDP session. Laptop had displaylink support tool, mspaint, resource monitor, Ethernet properties, and Ethernet properties details open at the time.

Update 3:
Attachments for 1318 and 1323 were added. This time I took the screen shot, gathered the logs, and pasted the screen to mspaint with save. I should have labeled the jpg 1318 instead of 1323 oh well.

RDP Session was in IE reading a page and dragging the scroll bar down to load more. Other active programs on RDP session Outlook 2013 and Skype.

Local laptop with displaylink had my normal resource monitor, Ethernet properties, Ethernet details, and displaylink support tool in advance mode open.

Still using the Anker 3.0 cable that was provided with the Anker unit on the Kensington unit.

Update 4:
So did these reports using the different cable have the same issue?
Yes both attachments show USB connection errors
Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by longplaypg View Post
The XPS 13 is in the process of being returned to Dell.

Currently I have a Latitude D420 hooked up to the Anker USB 3.0 Dual video with the Kensington USB 3.0 cable to a 2.0 USB port. I noticed something interesting when the problems started to occur the CPU , Disk, Network, and Memory charts would flatline. During the period of flatline requests would be cached and processed once the system returned to activity.

The screenshot is just after I started the Gather Support Information and shows the previous flatline activity period. The RDP windows were just starting to refresh.

Are you seeing USB errors even on this USB 2.0 laptop?
No sign of USB connection errors in the logs for this system
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
longplaypg

Interesting...
  • CSSM-SANDIEWIFI_20130919_075527.zip
  • original USB cable
  • Kensington
  • left usb
  • logs indicate errors on usb
  • CSSM-SANDIEWIFI_20130920_124646.zip and CSSM-SANDIEWIFI_20130920_132318.zip
  • different USB 3.0 cable
  • Kensington
  • left usb
  • logs indicate errors on usb
  • CSSM-NETBOOK-09_20130925_103848.zip
  • different USB 3.0 cable
  • Anker
  • different hardware with only usb 2.0 support
  • logs do not indicate usb errors
  • Any ideas on why this unit did a flat line and become unresponsive for a bit?
  • CSSM-WAF_20131001_112520.zip
  • I am going to guess errors here?
  • CSSM-SANDIEXPS_20131004_083858.zip
  • Can't wait for your report on this one also..