Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
chashock

Default Second display disappears

System Info:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Phenom 2.20GHz Quad Core
8GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 9300GE

=======

I have been using two eVGA UV16+ devices for some time now under Vista, with very few issues. The nVidia 9300 GE is the only video card in the system.

I just loaded Windows 7 Ultimate (retail version) onto my HP m9517c last night and all was well until about 20 minutes after the upgrade was complete and I was actually using the system.

Now, after about 20 minutes of use, the first of the two monitors attached to a UV16+ just goes dark. It behaves as though it's asleep, even though I've had all power management on these monitors turned off for a long time, and I double checked and it's still turned off. The system thinks that the monitor is still there in Control Panel, the mouse will disappear when I move it to that monitor, and the app I had open on that screen goes back to that screen if I close it and re-open it, as though it's displaying just fine. The only way to recover from this that I've found is to completely re-install the driver. One other thing I've noticed is that when the screen goes dark, my CPU utilization goes through the roof across all four cores, maintaining an average of 90%+ for more than an hour (I finally got tired of waiting for it and rebooted last time, it may have kept going if I'd let it).

I've noticed from the other forum entries that this driver seems to be particularly unstable, and if that's all this is, I can wait for awhile, but the dearth of responses from any forum mods or DisplayLink folks makes me wonder if anyone's really listening? I have far more obscure technology attached to this PC and it loaded with zero issues under Win7 and is functioning just fine. Is there a major update coming soon to the 5.2 driver release that fixes these bugs or are we just taking baby steps along the way?

I love this product, it has served me very, very well in expanding my viewable work space from 2 to 4 monitors, but not being further along on Win7 development (considering it's been out there for what seems like forever) is a little disappointing.

What can we expect to see in the near future?