Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 03-06-2023, 06:59 AM   #1
dani_ponsg

Default MacBook Pro M2 13'' 2022 - Blurry texts

Hi all,

I'm writing here for first time as I'm a MacBook Pro M2 13'' 2022 user with Ventura 13.2.1 and DisplayLink Manager 1.8.0. This Mac has the limitation of an external monitor as we all know.

After doing some research, I came across DisplayLink solutions. I bought a DisplayLink compatible docking station.

My current setup is:
- 1 Samsung LU28R55 monitor connected directly to USB-C configured with 2560x1440 (no problem).
- 1 Samsung LU28R55 monitor connected by HDMI - HDMI to the docking station with 1440x2560 rotated to 270º using the DisplayLink software.

I have some questions that I would appreciate being answered:

- Regardless of whether I activate or deactivate "Enable experimental 3008x...." in the list of resolutions I always see the same ones, without differences. It is normal?
- Does the HDMI cable have to have some special feature for everything to work better?

And my main issue: I see blurry text and pointer lag on the monitor that is driven by DisplayLink. I've been reading other posts and it is not clear to me if this should really be the case or is it currently possible to have 1440x2560 with DisplayLink and have it look sharp?

While I'm writing this I'm seeing that by setting 1440x2560 the refresh rate drops to 30Hz with no option to change to 60. With 1152x2048 I do have 60 Hz but still blurry but with less lag.

Thank you very much for the help.

Last edited by dani_ponsg; 03-06-2023 at 07:05 AM.
dani_ponsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:12 PM   #2
hpridham

Default Similar issues

Funny, I have nearly the exact same setup: landscape primary display over USB-C, portrait display over displaylink connected to a dock.

I had issues at first getting the displaylink display to connect but it eventually worked by using a new HDMI cable (the old one was very long, that may have been the issue).

The issues I'm continuing to face is with blurry text and colour temperature... Everything is soft and a little blue. I've compared screenshots from my different displays and they're the same. So the output image is the same.

I've orderd the DisplayPort version the HDMI displaylink adaptor I'm using. Maybe that'll fix it but I don't have high hopes.

I'm know I'm being super picky but It's not as nice a reading experience as it should be.
hpridham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:12 PM   #3
hpridham

No difference using the DP version of the DL-6950. Same soft text.
hpridham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #4
dani_ponsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpridham View Post
No difference using the DP version of the DL-6950. Same soft text.
Thanks for the heads up
dani_ponsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #5
Josasp

Yes, the text appears softer in the experimental modes. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing behind the scenes.

However, I'm extremely pleased that we have this mode. Previously, I had to resort to an ugly display cloning trick to achieve a 2560x1440 HiDPI on my DisplayLink adapter, but this option is much better. It looks nicer, has lower latency, and is more convenient.

So, it's not perfect, but I'm not complaining, especially considering that it wasn't working at all before.

Initially, I would have been satisfied if they had simply automated the display cloning trick, but I'm pleasantly surprised with this mode, even if it isn't flawless.
Josasp is offline   Reply With Quote