Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 03-14-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
Bryce Curdy

Default Unable to duplicate or change Display settings on 2nd monitor

Apologies for duplicate post but the forum is now allowing me to attach zipped Support File.

ASUS Laptop connected via Targus Docking Station (USB) to LG Monitor (HDMI)
Intel HD Graphics 4000 Display Adapter (latest driver)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650 M (latest driver)
Windows 10 64 bit (1607)
DisplayLink 8.1 (Compatibility Test passed)

I cannot remember the last time I tried to duplicate display as it's not something I need to do very often plus I've just moved home and had no study for several months but it was something I was definitely able to do when I first installed DisplayLink. At that time I was using Windows 7 since when I have upgraded to 8 and now 10. I've read on other posts that Intel 4 series have limitations but I could definitely duplicate on Windows 7 and pretty sure 8 too.

Windows Button and P pressed together gives me the option to duplicate but it doesn't work. No option to duplicate using Display settings and unable to change any settings on the monitor at all. Resolution looks like 1920x1080 but the resolution box is greyed out under Advanded display settings. Under NVIDEA settings I get a message that I am 'not using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU'.

If I bypass the Docking Station (ie Laptop to Monitor via HDMI) Display Settings behaves as described above but I can now change resolution and other settings using NVIDEA settings.

Extremely grateful for any advice.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PC5B_20170313_230949.zip (1.14 MB, 1 views)
Bryce Curdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Bryce,

Thank you for the details and the logs, this is helpful.
The Intel graphics driver you are using doesn't support cloning across graphics adapters.

Should you delete the Intel graphics driver and use the Microsoft Windows inbox basic graphics driver, you will be able to clone across graphics adapters.

Your machine is using a 3rd generation Intel CPU and Intel is unlikely to release graphics drivers following the Windows 10 driver model for it as this is not a recent enough architecture.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Bryce Curdy

Thank you Alban

I'm confused that I could definitely duplicate using Windows 7 and 8. Are you saying Intel stopped supporting 4000 series at that point meaning doesn't work in Windows 10?

Where do I find and how do I install the Microsoft Windoes inbox basic graphics driver? Not showing up under Display Adapters on Device Manager.

Kind regards

Lewis
Old 03-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hello Lewis,

Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 Threshold works differently on the graphics part than Windows 10 Redstone (Anniversary or Creators Update).
Intel has never supported your CPU architecture with the latest graphics requirements.
We could go round it in previous versions of Windows, but we cannot create that feature again in Windows 10 Anniversary Update onwards: either it is there in the GPU driver, or it is not.

One does not install the basic driver. It is used when there are no other driver installed. That's why I suggested deleting the Intel driver, so it uses the default compatibility driver to check this is the issue you are observing.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Bryce Curdy

Yes, that works. Thank you for your trouble Alban.

Uninstalling the Intel Display Adapter didn't work as Windows just automatically reinstalled it at the first opportunity, but disabling it did the job.