Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Bmax1985

Default DisplayLink RHEL 6.3

Hello,
First off, I'm an admitted NOOB in Linux

I have RHEL 6.3 and would like to use a Displaylink device to drive a third monitor but am not quite sure where to start with the linux information that's posted on http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Seems like that site is full of mostly garbage but am I missing something? Any and all help appreciated!
Bmax1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Bmax1985

Anyone have any info? I've scoured the internet trying to find a how to or the like but haven't.
Bmax1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
sruthj

I have RHEL 6.3 also and was migrated by my company off of windows.
I've been searching for weeks trying to find a driver for Display Link but no success.
Closest I've come is my previous post "DisplayLink support for Linux- possible solution?" in this forum, you might take a look.

There is also this:

http://nameq.wordpress.com/2011/09/2...-linux-fedora/

and this infamous page of complexity (link below). If anyone can pull a solution out of it, please post....thanks

http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage

I've got about 12 other articles but those are the most promising.
I'm a computer support tech and my job is pretty taxing with a whole lot of proprietary stuff and research, but nothing has compared to trying to get this USB powered DisplayLink monitor to work with Linux.
I feel like a blind man trying to crack the Rosetta stone. Day 12 scouring Google with brain-burn and still defeated....

Last edited by sruthj; 02-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.
sruthj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
sruthj

Not sure if this is of any help, but you're welcome to give it at try. I'm had for the day

http://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/mirror/ftp.../x86_64/debug/

>>
xorg-x11-drv-displaylink-debuginfo-0-3.20110102git.fc16.x86_64.rpm
>>

? ? ?

Last edited by sruthj; 02-27-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Dan
Banned

As I've said a few times before - I'm not aware of Linux support for hotpluggable display adapters.

There is some experimental stuff going on, but I don't think it's primetime.

The effort required to make this work is beyond DisplayLink's capability at present - it was already there withing Windows, which made our life considerably easier (and obviously it was also a much bigger market).

There is adequate support for our DL2 support already upstream in the kernel for the framebuffer, but more is required from the generic desktop supportj which is way outside of our area.

I'd love for something magic to change this, but not desperately hopeful...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
sruthj

Still trying to find a solution to have a much needed extra travel screen with my new RHEL work laptop. I have two Toshiba PA3923U travel monitors, but they don't work anymore.
Part of what keeps me coming back:

* Normal but travel-sized VGA powered LCD monitors (15") small enough to fit in a suitcase, are no longer sold. They are discontinued and out of stock, everywhere.
The only ones still able to be found are LED backlit monitors which are at least 3" thick. These take up too much space vertically.
In every store in the world apparently, the minimum size of today's regular flatscreen LCD monitors is 20" wide(??)

* Large sized suitcases (20"+) to fit the new wider monitors are impossible to find, or at least 2x the cost of a standard (18") suitcase.
Regardless, I don't want to lug around a silly looking huge suitcase just to fit an overwide LCD monitor.

* "Travel monitors" sold as such are 15", but are ALL on the market I can find are sold exclusively as USB powered Display Link and non compatible with RHEL Linux.

Its been a hard road :/
If anyone does find a driver that will help make just one of these Toshiba monitors work I'd greatly appreciate. Even if I can convert the output from the VGA with an adapter somehow. I can extend the desktop to a normal VGA monitor but can't find anything travel sized or portable that isn't DisplayLink. thanks

Last edited by sruthj; 03-29-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
dUsTiN

Default Welcome to the club...

I wish I had some good news for you BELIEVE ME, but unfortunately that is not the case. I have spent hours upon hours UPON HOURS of my time on google trying to solve this issue since I purchased my DisplayLink Adapter a month ago. I have tried it on every single distro that had even the slightest chance of getting it working. Alas, still I get the green screen of death lol (well technically that's not true bc its the black screen now with newer driver) On the off chance that I may have found information you havent, here is what I know/think i know:

1. The displaylink drivers on the freedesktop.org website are pretty much useless on most of today's current- updated distros/kernels. There has not been any development there in a while so you will encounter dependancy HELL... (seriously, i gave up on that.)

2. The development went cold on the udlfb driver because it shifted focus to getting the hot plugging of usb displays built into the kernel.

3. Sometime last year, the first half was complete and the udl driver was loaded into the kernal. It's still a little glitchy though so most people disable it and fallback to the udlfb.

4. Now you are thinking "but you said udlfb was useless"? Well, it is if you are having to compile and install it BUT there are two distros that have support for udlfb already in their standard setups. There are actually a few more than just two BUT.. From all the reading, web crawling, and trial attempts, I came the closest to a setup working how I want when using Fedora (by a mile) and Ubuntu coming in second.

5. What's left for development is the software side of it concerning the xserver display manager. I read somewhere that the earliest this could be done realistically for FULL support is towards the end of 2013. At this point, although not easy people have had success in setting it up in mirror mode (both screens display the same desktop). I have not yet completed my setup mostly because if I don't take a break from obsessing I am going to throw the displaylink AND my 24 inch monitor out my 2nd story window! LOL

Here are some links I have in my "Hell Folder" . Sorry for rambling..hope you find something useful. Good luck!

http://plugable.com/2011/12/23/usb-graphics-and-linux --this has gotten me to where I am which is that it works but the refresh rate (i assume?) is too slow. Basically it takes the displaylink monitor an extra second or two to redraw changes to the desktop. Its usable but in no way acceptable.

Other Useful links:
http://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html
http://nameq.wordpress.com/2011/09/2...-linux-fedora/
dUsTiN is offline   Reply With Quote