Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Nooberd

Default Single monitor registered incorrectly as two unique displays using a USB 3.0 Dock

I'm trying to set up a USB 3.0 dock on an older HP desktop. After an hour of troubleshooting, I found out that the single ASUS monitor I have was being detected as an additional "Wired Display" (showing up as a generic non-pnp monitor in device manager). In order to get around this, I had to duplicate displays in order for the correct image to show through the monitor (which is really tough when your only true image showing is the secondary display!!).

I'm curious how to fix this. I have been using this same dock for 5 months on two other PCs (a work laptop and a personal laptop, both HP), and they don't exhibit this behavior. On those PCs, while using the dock, my display comes through as a single device (correctly identified as my ASUS monitor plugged into the dock) and as a generic pnp monitor in device manager. Yet on this desktop PC, while the ASUS monitor still shows up as a device, there is an additional "Wired Display" device showing up which must be used to display my image (if I swap to the ASUS display, nothing shows).

Any thoughts on why this is happening, and should I be concerned? I did find one source that addressed this scenario online, where the solution was to uninstall Hyper-V. I don't have that installed, so doesn't seem relevant. I've cycled through updating and reinstalling drivers, changing ports, etc, and haven't found a solution.

---

For anyone else looking for these symptoms -- the initial issue that sent me down this path was that my monitor displayed a black screen w/ mouse pointer on login, causing me to need to swap the HDMI cable back to the PC case to view the screen. Once at my desktop, when I switched the cable back to the dock, my icons and windows would disappear. The REASON was because the PC was suddenly changing from 1 monitor to 2 when I switched my HDMI cable back into the docking station, and the active display was a "secondary" one. To fix that, open display settings, finagle the window into your current view by right-clicking the thumbnail image from your taskbar and clicking "Move" (you may need to "Restore" it first), then use your keyboard arrows to nudge it around. Once it's on your current display, you can set your displays to "duplicate". I hope this is helpful for some at least, yet the underlying problem remains -- why is the monitor being registered as two unique displays?
Nooberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Hello,
This is because your desktop keeps the display connector alive as if it had a monitor even if there's no monitor on it.
It would still be there if you undock, but as you've got no display left, you can't see there's still a display allegedly recognised. Nothing to do with the dock, but it's how your desktop was made.
You could use Windows+P to change to external only instead of duplicate, or check in the bios if you can disable that ghost display when there's no display on the connector.
Best regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote