Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Old 06-16-2022, 01:02 AM   #1
makar2

Exclamation Problems both with wayland and xorg

Reported to Nvidia as well here. Tried with both dual GPU and Nvidia-only.

What I am up to
Connect a second HDMI display via a type C hub

Problem with Xorg (logs in attachments 1 and 2)
1. Works fine before a suspend. After a suspend I am getting exactly 10 seconds freezes with brief intervals on both screens if the external screen is connected via usb-c.
2. Reboot solves it (but I do want to be able to suspend my laptop)
3. Disconnecting the second display or connecting HDMI to HDMI (not via hub) does not produce those freezes.
4. Doesn't matter if the display was connected before/during suspend or not.

Problem with Wayland (logs in attachment 3)
1. Suspends go smooth, but the second screen is always tearing and its FPS is low.
2. Connecting HDMI to HDMI (not via hub) works fine with Wayland as well.

Hardware:
Host: ROG Strix G513QC_G513QC 1.0
Kernel: 5.15.0-37-generic
DE: GNOME 42.1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 4.463GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile
GPU: AMD ATI 05:00.0 Cezanne
Memory: 16GB
Nvidia driver: v515
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1-xorg-before-suspend.zip (66.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip 2-xorg-lag-after-suspend.zip (70.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip 3-wayland-tearing.zip (70.9 KB, 0 views)
makar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by makar2 View Post
Reported to Nvidia as well here. Tried with both dual GPU and Nvidia-only.

What I am up to
Connect a second HDMI display via a type C hub

Problem with Xorg (logs in attachments 1 and 2)
1. Works fine before a suspend. After a suspend I am getting exactly 10 seconds freezes with brief intervals on both screens if the external screen is connected via usb-c.
2. Reboot solves it (but I do want to be able to suspend my laptop)
3. Disconnecting the second display or connecting HDMI to HDMI (not via hub) does not produce those freezes.
4. Doesn't matter if the display was connected before/during suspend or not.

Problem with Wayland (logs in attachment 3)
1. Suspends go smooth, but the second screen is always tearing and its FPS is low.
2. Connecting HDMI to HDMI (not via hub) works fine with Wayland as well.

Hardware:
Host: ROG Strix G513QC_G513QC 1.0
Kernel: 5.15.0-37-generic
DE: GNOME 42.1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 4.463GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile
GPU: AMD ATI 05:00.0 Cezanne
Memory: 16GB
Nvidia driver: v515
The USB Type-C hub you mention using in your report to Nvidia --> https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Et...07H2ZS1B5?th=1 does not appear to have DisplayLink USB video technology inside of it.

Presuming my impression is correct, then DisplayLink will not be able to assist you.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
makar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
The USB Type-C hub you mention using in your report to Nvidia --> https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Et...07H2ZS1B5?th=1 does not appear to have DisplayLink USB video technology inside of it.

Presuming my impression is correct, then DisplayLink will not be able to assist you.
How do I check that? when I first contacted them on Amazon they told me to download DisplayLink drivers via a link on your website. That did not help, but at least I was under the impression that the technology is DisplayLink. Please advise
Old 06-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
How do I check that? when I first contacted them on Amazon they told me to download DisplayLink drivers via a link on your website. That did not help, but at least I was under the impression that the technology is DisplayLink. Please advise
Any device with a DisplayLink chipset inside will have a USB vendor ID (VID) of '17e9'.

While the device is connected to your system, from within a terminal run the command 'lsusb' (without the quotes) in order to see what USB devices are detected by the host.

If no entries are present with VID '17e9', then the device does not have DisplayLink technology inside.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #5
makar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
Any device with a DisplayLink chipset inside will have a USB vendor ID (VID) of '17e9'.

While the device is connected to your system, from within a terminal run the command 'lsusb' (without the quotes) in order to see what USB devices are detected by the host.

If no entries are present with VID '17e9', then the device does not have DisplayLink technology inside.
Thank you, I tried that and it indeed did not have any matching VID. I am just curious:
1. t that's not DisplayLink, then what is it? I don't know of any other similar technology via USB.
2. Can you point me at other similar products that certainly use DisplayLink technology? I have tried Anker and another hub, but both had the same symptoms.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thank you, I tried that and it indeed did not have any matching VID. I am just curious:
1. t that's not DisplayLink, then what is it? I don't know of any other similar technology via USB.
2. Can you point me at other similar products that certainly use DisplayLink technology? I have tried Anker and another hub, but both had the same symptoms.

1. I can't be sure what technology is in the device you are using. If pressed to guess, the device simply relies on the video output capabilities of your computer's built-in USB Type-C port in order to function.

2. DisplayLink has a page that helps you find products based on their technology here --> https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...ylink-products

Tags
hub, linux, nvidia, suspend, ubuntu