Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - 9.0 Alpha/Beta for Windows

Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 AM   #1
uit

Default Night Light setting accessible, but not Change Brightness

Thanks for releasing the latest version just in time for my new dock! :-)

I see the Windows 10 Night light setting is now available, but the Brightness control is greyed out. FWIW, I'm still able to control brightness (and contrast) successfully using Nirsoft.net ControlMyMonitor program.

For example:
"C:\Program Files\Nirsoft\ControlMyMonitor\ControlMyMonitor.ex e" /SetValue \\.\DISPLAY4\Monitor0 10 23 & "C:\Program Files\Nirsoft\ControlMyMonitor\ControlMyMonitor.ex e" /SetValue "\\.\DISPLAY4\Monitor0" 12 28

Config:
DisplayLink for Windows 9.0 Alpha on MSI GL63 8RC Notebook, Intel i7 8th Gen 8750H with Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU and Nvidia 1050, Windows 10 1803 x64 Enterprise, Diamond Multimedia DS6950 Dock connected to computer via USB 3.0 Gen 1 C port and via DisplayPort to LG 43UD79-B 43" 4K Monitor.

Let me know if you want a diag report.

Last edited by uit; 09-19-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
uit

Default When second monitor is connected, Night Light deactivates

Now, I have plugged in a second monitor (Viewsonic VA7259 27" in 1920 x 1080 resolution, just like the LG 43" monitor) to the 6950 dock and find that after starting Windows, Night Light deactivates after about 1 min 40 seconds, even when the second monitor is powered off.

This problem does not occur when the second monitor is unplugged from the dock and then, while Windows is running, the second monitor is plugged into the dock in which case, Night light remains activated.

Separately, when the second monitor is plugged in, the Desktop icons change slightly leaving a bit more empty space at the bottom of the screen above the Taskbar. Disconnecting the second monitor returns the typical icon appearance. On closer inspection, it seems the vertical spacing between icons is slight reduced when the second monitor is plugged into the dock.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
Gamma is about colour, not anything else so the behaviour was not expected to change.
Gamma is about modifying the image before it is sent to the monitor.

Brightness and contrast were implemented in the past through a standard called DDC/CI, that's why your third party app could control it and still can.
Brightness and contrast are just about sending commands to the monitor.

I haven't yet asked Microsoft about that brightness slider. I'm afraid it is rather low priority today, but will be investigated as part of the Windows Store application in development (first basic version available today under "DisplayLink Manager").
On my laptop, I cannot control an HDMI monitor directly connected to the Intel GPU either.

Would you please be able to tell me how these displays are connected? (cable connector on the dock and monitor side)
Also, would you mind using the tool linked in my signature to upload the zip created by the tool? Please enable advanced DisplayLink logging, reboot, get the repro, click Gather logs, disable advanced DisplayLink logging.
I will need to create a bug for that...

Kind regards,
Alban

Ref 28749

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution

Last edited by AlbanRampon; 09-26-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Ref 28749
Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
uit

Thanks for your reply and the clarity.

I'm not concerned about the Brightness control missing. I had thought it was a problem, but now I have a better understanding. In fact, I just discovered that when the laptop's monitor is disconnected in Display settings, the Brightness control no longer appears as an option of both external monitors settings. The control is completely gone, but once the laptop monitor is reactivated, the Brightness control appears again, though it's grayed out for both external monitors.

LG 43" monitor connected via DP
Viewsonic 27" monitor connected via HDMI
Dock connects to laptop via USB C Gen 1 5Gb

Earlier today, while adjusting Windows display settings, I saw a slight anomaly... It seemed that when the Viewsonic monitor was activated, Night light was deactivated for my other external monitor. Only after I explicitly configured Night light for the Viewsonic did Night light behave properly.

On a separate note, when I plugin a USB device to the dock, power turns off to keyboard device also connected to the dock. This problem doesn't occur when both devices are connected directly to the laptop. Is this something you can help with?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I am not sure I understand the process here, but the HDMI output of our chip is not supported so that could be why you are experiencing issues with it. I raised this with the engineering team who worked on the feature.

For your side issue, the DisplayLink chip, like your keyboard, is connected to the USB hub in the box. That's not our technology and our device driver doesn't control that. I recommend you contact the dock manufacturer, Diamond Multimedia, for help on their product.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution