Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
BillATS

Default Problem with 7.6 and Internet connectivity

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet. For months I've been following this thread: http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62313
waiting for some update to fix the problem where installing the DisplayLink Graphics breaks the ability to wirelessly duplicate my screen using Miracast.

Finally today I check the release notes on version 7.6, claiming to fix the problem. I downloaded and installed the update and was able to connect the tablet to my Plugable 3900 docking station, extend my screen to two external monitors and use my USB connected peripherals. I then disconnected the tablet from the dock and wirelessly duplicated the screen to my Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 connected to the HDMI port on my TV.

Then, I try to open the Internet....NOTHING...PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED.
I check ipconfig for my network settings, everything looks right. Nothing on my LAN has changed in the last ten minutes. My wireless card is obviously working b/c I just used a wifi direct connection to connect to my PTV3000. I can still ping my gateway and connect to my router, I can even ping public dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2.

BUT,

I try nslookup to a website and I get a 127.0.0.1 loopback, like it's looking at the tablet for dns settings instead of the router. I uninstall the DisplayLink Graphics software and behold, I can get online again. Am I missing something here? How can you fix one problem and then break something so central? Who is testing these before release? I am getting tired of having to go back to my boss and tell him why the docking station still won't work for these tablets. The Miracast duplication problem was bad enough, but no Internet is definitely a non-starter. Please look into this soon as you can. Let me know what you need me to send you to get started.
BillATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Wim

I'm not sure that this is directly connected to the DisplayLink Ethernet driver. Our driver is layer 2 only and just passes Ethernet packets between USB and the Windows Ethernet stack. If you can ping the DNS servers, but they are not resolving the name, the problem is probably somewhere in the Windows network stack or in the network security.

It sounds like you are using this in a business. Is there some network security that will prevent unrecognised MAC addresses (which the dock will be) from resolving host names to prevent them getting network access?

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
BillATS

You were spot-on about the network stack. Just so happens today I was having a ton of trouble using the USB Ethernet adapter on my Surface tablet and ended up having to do a netsh winsock reset to fix it. When I tried the docking station on the Venue again tonight, it got me thinking, so I double checked the ipconfig and noticed even though my gateway was there, it wasn't explicitly listing as my dns server, so I opened network adapter properties and thought to try manually configuring. Lo and behold when I try to open properties for tcp/ip, I get an error: "in order to configure this you must first install and enable a network adapter". Same error I was getting on my Surface earlier. So I ran the reset command and rebooted and now it's working. Weird that I would receive the same error on 2 different devices, both using USB emulation for virtual NICs, but if that hadn't happened earlier, not sure I ever would have thought to try that. Anyway, my bad. You guys are spot on. My fault for not paying more attention before I made this post. But hopefully if this happens to someone else it'll help give them an idea what else to try. Thanks for the reply.
BillATS is offline   Reply With Quote