Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2024, 10:43 AM   #1
Hellercreative

Smile Uninstalling DisplayLink Drivers on Win11

As the owner of a new, fast Win11 computer and an avid fan of VR, I've been asked by Steam to uninstall my DisplayLink driver at C:\Program Files\DisplayLink XR\displaylink (I'm having tracking issued that are believed to be CPU-related).

However, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to do that. If I try to use the Control Panel to go to Win11\Start Button\Programs and Features to use its Uninstall utility (as stated during a Google search of how to do this), DisplayLink doesn't show up in the list of programs.

I can find the DisplayLink process under the Task Manager, but ending the process obviously won't uninstall the driver.

I see that there is a DisplayLink Cleaner Tool that I could download and employ, but I'm wary of the "This tool should be used as a last resort and not a standard way of uninstalling" disclaimer.

IAs you've probably guessed by now, I know just enough about Windows processes to get me in trouble...so help or suggestions are appreciated!
Hellercreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:59 AM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellercreative View Post
As the owner of a new, fast Win11 computer and an avid fan of VR, I've been asked by Steam to uninstall my DisplayLink driver at C:\Program Files\DisplayLink XR\displaylink (I'm having tracking issued that are believed to be CPU-related).

However, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to do that. If I try to use the Control Panel to go to Win11\Start Button\Programs and Features to use its Uninstall utility (as stated during a Google search of how to do this), DisplayLink doesn't show up in the list of programs.

I can find the DisplayLink process under the Task Manager, but ending the process obviously won't uninstall the driver.

I see that there is a DisplayLink Cleaner Tool that I could download and employ, but I'm wary of the "This tool should be used as a last resort and not a standard way of uninstalling" disclaimer.

IAs you've probably guessed by now, I know just enough about Windows processes to get me in trouble...so help or suggestions are appreciated!
While I cannot be sure based on the information available, it is possible that a DisplayLink driver was installed on your computer by Windows Update when a DisplayLink device was connected in the past.

If that is in fact the case, then the driver would be present however it would not have an entry within Programs and Features.

If not already, I would suggest disconnecting any devices that have DisplayLink technology inside of them from your computer and then running the DisplayLink End User cleaner --> https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...lation-cleaner and then rebooting the computer to see if that helps.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:32 AM   #3
Hellercreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
While I cannot be sure based on the information available, it is possible that a DisplayLink driver was installed on your computer by Windows Update when a DisplayLink device was connected in the past.

If that is in fact the case, then the driver would be present however it would not have an entry within Programs and Features.

If not already, I would suggest disconnecting any devices that have DisplayLink technology inside of them from your computer and then running the DisplayLink End User cleaner --> https://www.synaptics.com/products/d...lation-cleaner and then rebooting the computer to see if that helps.
@rboerner: Thanks. I just tried disconnecting the VIVE headset (which I believe is the only device that would require DisplayLink), running the DisplayLink End User Cleaner, and then re-booting...and the driver file is still there...so I'm flummoxed.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:18 PM   #4
Hellercreative

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post

> I just tried disconnecting the VIVE headset (which I believe is the only device that would require DisplayLink), running the DisplayLink End User Cleaner, and then re-booting...and the driver file is still there...so I'm flummoxed.

....Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can safely uninstall the driver? Thanks
Old 01-15-2024, 10:56 AM   #5
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellercreative View Post
> I just tried disconnecting the VIVE headset (which I believe is the only device that would require DisplayLink), running the DisplayLink End User Cleaner, and then re-booting...and the driver file is still there...so I'm flummoxed.

....Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can safely uninstall the driver? Thanks
I myself do not have any other suggestions. I would suggest reporting the issue to DisplayLink directly by following the process outlined here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...to-displaylink
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drivers, uninstall, win11