Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #11
jabsroche

Cool Netflix Chat Support

I was told by a Netflix rep the following:

REP: That means that the HDCP certification itself for the cable that you're using for the external screen is already outdated. You can go to the nearest techstore in your area and look for a cable with an updated HDCP cerification to at least 2.2. Since our contents are protected by copyrights and licenses, there's that certifications for these hardwares to allow the safe travel of the shows from one device to another.Sort of related to piracy prevention.

So if the said certification requirement is not met, video won't really play or there'd be the actual message about HDCPs. You can still watch with the external screens by having new cables that are updated with the recent HDCP certifications though.

Does anyone here know if the cable is the one that goes into the Display link port or the cables that go into the monitors?
jabsroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:54 PM   #12
paultzirides

Default Most likely not cable-related

If this were a TV being connected to a streaming box using an HDMI cable, sure, that would be the issue, but I don't believe that's what's happening here.

Mac > USB dock/dongle (DisplayLink) > Display

It's that middle part that is the issue. As I understand it, the DisplayLink application uses the macOS "Screen Recording" API to grab video signals and sling them over to the connected display. It's not the cable that's the issue, it's the core of the system. Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, etc. don't want to allow their content to be displayed while this core system mechanism is in use because it cannot differentiate between, for example, a legitimate display that is connected to a DisplayLink device and a screen recording device or application that someone might use to slurp up copy-protected content.

What needs to happen is that Apple needs to create separate APIs for "Screen Recording" and "Additional Displays" (hypothetically something like that). A developer like DisplayLink can then take advantage of the "Additional Display" API, which Apple could then guarantee to content providers like Netflix, Hulu, etc. would not allow for screen recording and theft of copyrighted content. DisplayLink is operating with what Apple is providing for developers and doing their best with the tools they have.

It sucks, I hate it just as much as everyone else, but this is the most likely scenario preventing HDCP content from being displayed.
paultzirides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:33 PM   #13
jabsroche

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
If this were a TV being connected to a streaming box using an HDMI cable, sure, that would be the issue, but I don't believe that's what's happening here.

Mac > USB dock/dongle (DisplayLink) > Display

It's that middle part that is the issue. As I understand it, the DisplayLink application uses the macOS "Screen Recording" API to grab video signals and sling them over to the connected display. It's not the cable that's the issue, it's the core of the system. Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, etc. don't want to allow their content to be displayed while this core system mechanism is in use because it cannot differentiate between, for example, a legitimate display that is connected to a DisplayLink device and a screen recording device or application that someone might use to slurp up copy-protected content.

What needs to happen is that Apple needs to create separate APIs for "Screen Recording" and "Additional Displays" (hypothetically something like that). A developer like DisplayLink can then take advantage of the "Additional Display" API, which Apple could then guarantee to content providers like Netflix, Hulu, etc. would not allow for screen recording and theft of copyrighted content. DisplayLink is operating with what Apple is providing for developers and doing their best with the tools they have.

It sucks, I hate it just as much as everyone else, but this is the most likely scenario preventing HDCP content from being displayed.
Well, that stinks. Thanks for the reply.
jabsroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #14
jamesnlogan

Angry Same issue since this week

I have been able to play Netflix/DisneyPlus+ content via my DisplayLink connected external monitors with no problems for nearly two years now till it broke sometime last week.

I had a pending update to macos 12.3.1 which I applied after I started experiencing the issue hoping it would resolve it. Also updated DisplayLink (again, after the fact). Only afterwards did I find the posts saying that this is a known limitation.

But why did it work up until now? What changed last week that started enforcing this?

--
jnl
jamesnlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #15
gkelway

I think apple is enforcing this in one of their latest updates.

Try the Opera browser. It's still working for me.
gkelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:10 PM   #16
jamesnlogan

Thanks for the suggestion.

"Yet another browser" is just what I needed.

Confirming that Opera works for me as well.

--
jnl
jamesnlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:23 AM   #17
marcus_70

Default It works

Hi

It works with firefox.
marcus_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #18
camiguz

It worked with Opera. Thank you
camiguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #19
osolemio

Just had the exact same thing happen to me; DisplayLink has been working with Hulu and Netflix just fine for almost a year, until it recently stopped cooperating with both Chrome and Safari.

Made an account here to confirm what the others have said: Firefox seems to be handling it fine. Such an absurd issue...
osolemio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:38 AM   #20
maik

Opera and Firefox browser It's working for me.
maik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permission, recording, screen, streaming, video