Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
rdinsf

Default ASUS MB169B+ Does Not Work Properly With Latest Windows 10, no Solution?

I have an MB169B+ monitor. It worked fine until a Windows 10 update last weekend. Now, the brightness controls no longer function, and the auto-rotate does not function.

ASUS support was less than helpful, telling me I had to contact the manufacturer of my computer - obviously nonsensical advice.

I then contacted DisplayLink support. I described the problem, and received a prompt response as follows:

This is currently expected as these functions have not been implemented in the latest driver architecture. This is planned, but don't have a date for this at the moment.

I guess I'm a bit surprised by the apparent casualness of the response. Two features (including brightness control which is fairly essential) do not function with the latest update to Windows, and all we have is a "plan" to fix the problem but no date for the fix.

If any of the higher ups monitor this board - I think this is really unacceptable.
rdinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Pertang

Default Unable to change brightness after win 10 anniversary update

Hi all

I have an AOC E1659FWU usb 3 external monitor hooked up to my Lenovo T440p laptop. It has been running fine under windows 10, but then the Windows 10 anniversary edition updated my laptop and I now am unable to change the brightness of the AOC usb screen. The display works fine apart from that, but since an issue I had a couple of years ago, I now need my screens to be more on the less bright side, my external monitor is set to really bright so it is basically unusable to me (unless I'm really in the mood for a nasty headache)

You used to be able to adjust the brightness via the DisplayLink control panel, but now when you go into the Displaylink task bar icon, if you select video, it just takes you to the windows display properties and you can't drag the slider on the adjust brightness. I've reinstalled the latest displaylink, but that hasn't helped and from a brief google search, I've come up blank. Any ideas or is this something that will be fixed in future editions

Thanks in advance
DJ
Pertang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Good afternoon,

I've merged the two latest threads on the same subject.

The transparency from my colleague should not be taken as being casual about it.
We simply don't believe in empty promises. If he had given you a date, then that would have been just that... a date.

We are currently working on another solution in the meantime which would also be helpful for users of these USB monitor product lines from AOC and Asus on Mac, the possibility to use Screenbright or any other standard DDC/CI application to control these USB monitors. (So it means you won't require DisplayLink UI for this)
The development has been very promising, is in progress, but is not yet finished so I am unable to commit to it for release 8.1 currently.
Restoring the use of the hardware buttons for Windows 10 Anniversary Update and beyond is still planned, but using the Windows USB driver means we have had to do everything again from the ground up and we did not really have much choice here. The new driver architecture, despite looking worse for you today, is a good thing as it shows commitment from Microsoft to support DisplayLink USB graphics in the long term as it's now part of the OS, making future updates of the OS or primary graphics card drivers seamless.
I've decided to go ahead and prioritise the DDC/CI version before because I know it means you will be able to modify brightness quicker.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Pertang

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Good afternoon,

We are currently working on another solution in the meantime which would also be helpful for users of these USB monitor product lines from AOC and Asus on Mac, the possibility to use Screenbright or any other standard DDC/CI application to control these USB monitors. (So it means you won't require DisplayLink UI for this)

Kind regards,
Alban
Thanks for the update Alban. I've just looked for Screenbright, but it says it's discontinued, so I found PangoBright as an alternative. This works great, I can select monitor 1, 2 or both and change the brightness.

Thank you so much, this will allow me to use the monitor just fine until the update comes through

DJ
Pertang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
rdinsf

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I suppose as a non-tech person I assume that when a product is sold and advertised with certain functions, that operating system changes are anticipated in advance such that there is no a loss of functionality when the OS upgrades. I understand that accomplishing that may not be as easy as I think.

But, there is a problem in that this lack of functionality has not reached the support people at the vendors - for example ASUS. So instead of telling me that there is a (hopefully) temporary loss of the ability to adjust brightness and auto-rotate, they have me go through the uninstall/reinstall rigmarole, then tell me there is a problem with my hardware and I should contact my hardware vendor. I spent considerable time following their instructions and trying things on my own - time which I wouldn't have spent if they simply told me there was a problem and the functionality was not working.

And meanwhile ASUS, Amazon, and others continue to advertise the product as having functionality that it does not have.

So while I appreciate your transparency here - people are buying products assuming they do things that they don't, and there is zero communication to current owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Good afternoon,

The transparency from my colleague should not be taken as being casual about it.
We simply don't believe in empty promises. If he had given you a date, then that would have been just that... a date.

The development has been very promising, is in progress, but is not yet finished so I am unable to commit to it for release 8.1 currently.
Restoring the use of the hardware buttons for Windows 10 Anniversary Update and beyond is still planned, but using the Windows USB driver means we have had to do everything again from the ground up and we did not really have much choice here. The new driver architecture, despite looking worse for you today, is a good thing as it shows commitment from Microsoft to support DisplayLink USB graphics in the long term as it's now part of the OS, making future updates of the OS or primary graphics card drivers seamless.
I've decided to go ahead and prioritise the DDC/CI version before because I know it means you will be able to modify brightness quicker.

Kind regards,
Alban
rdinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
TFTATER

Cool Only works with VGA

I spent most of the morning with tech support.

When I plug in my monitor, the ASUS logo comes up but then the screen stays blank. However, I found that when I tried it after hooking in my VGA monitor, all three (VGA, laptop and MB169+) came on and worked fine. However, when I unplugged the VGA, the ASUS went out. I did get it to stay on when I had all 3 hooked up AND made the ASUS the main screen. Then when I unplugged the VGA monitor, ASUS and laptop stayed how. BUT, when I unplugged the ASUS and plugged it back in, it did not work.

Obviously a Windows update driver issue with USB.
TFTATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
epool86

Default When will the things be fixed?

Im having the same problem, right after Windows 10 anniversary update, i no longer able to change the brightness for my AOC e1659fwu monitor. I hope you can give some estimated time on how long to fixed it.
epool86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by epool86 View Post
Im having the same problem, right after Windows 10 anniversary update, i no longer able to change the brightness for my AOC e1659fwu monitor. I hope you can give some estimated time on how long to fixed it.
Hello,
You can today decrease the brightness with PangoBright free software.
We are currently validating the changes to move it up/down with ScreenBright for 8.1. However only when we are sure it works will I be able to confirm it will be in 8.1: if there is something seriously wrong, we will not release it in 8.1.
Kind regards,
Alban

Old 10-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
Stepinsky

Default Support for all monitor buttons

As mentioned earlier, all buttons (including on/off switch) and auto-rotation don't work any more with my Asus 168B+.
Will these features work again with the 8.1 release? I don't care too much about auto-rotation, but being able to switch off the display instead of disconnecting it would be quite helpful.
Stepinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I have posted the 8.1 Alpha with its dedicated forum for the feedback.
It includes the support for control of brightness/contrast via DDC/CI applications like ScreenBright. The team has been able to make it fit in time for 8.1.
Feedback on 8.1 Alpha is welcome on the dedicated forum for Alpha.

Kind regards,
Alban

Tags
anniversary edition, aoc, brightness, e1659fwu, windows 10