Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #121
Ruud

Smile Still good!

Hi TBM,

Had 2 full days in a row without any black-out while using my laptop normal or even beyond normal memory wise.
This is a record for sure!

Hope this continues the next couple of days.
Keep you posted.

Ruud
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #122
tbm

Hi Ruud,

Good to hear you're still good

If possible; can you also try to sometimes transfer large files using the dock's Ethernet port from your laptop while you're working to (if you have) a local server? To get the maximum speed, for instance take a 4GB dummy file.

I've never experienced a stable Ethernet connection. The transfers didn't complete.. While the black-out occurs the Ethernet connection was also reset... and the mapped network drives became unreachable... Very annoying...
tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #123
Ruud

Smile 4 days in a row!

Hi TBM,

Still haven't got any black-outs since I switched to the right side USB port.

Feels kind of stupid I didn't try that option before.. could have saved me countless numbers of reboots and general agony.

I will try a good file download if I can get my hands on any decent size file (much look one up, that's all)

Thanks for asking,
Ruud
Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #124
tbm

Not stupid! Because we bought 2 USB3.0 ports, and now the left one doesn't have the USB3.0 specs.

You can download test files from: ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/test/

I hope you can continue working without any blackout...

Groeten,
TBM
Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #125
Ruud

Thumbs up Did network copy test..

Hi TBM, downloaded the 10GB test file and copied it over the network (1Gbit) to another server: it worked.
In the beginning fairly constant, but then on and off, on being around 60MB/sec max, off: 2 - 3 MB/sec. It sort of looked like it was choking on the line or something.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #126
tbm

Great that even while transferring 10GB files you still haven't had any black-out! Hoeraaaaaay!

Well now we can confirm that the left usb port is the issue for all of this...

Unfortunately i can't test it with my own dock (the second one from DELL) isn't functioning anymore... Only had it running for 3-4 days and when i've powered on my laptop on day 5 it wasn't recognized by Windows. I even can't get it to work on a fresh clean installed Windows 8 system....

I've called DELL for a solution for my problem, but still no answer....
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #127
TargusLevel3

Default XPS13 USB HS Port Not Docking

USB 3.0 Super Speed (right side of the XPS13) is best. The dock should work on both the left side USB2.0 port and the right side USB3.0 port.

However, the latest FrescoLogic Host Controller driver version 3.5.100.0 seems very stable for USB3.0 in the right side SS port, but the HS port on the left seems to have gone incompatible for docking on the Dell XPS13 LS321 with Targus dock ACP71. The Device Manager shows a yellow bang on the USB hub from the dock as if they are incompatible. The XPS13 LS321 does dock with the Targus ACP70. They do have two different USB hubs chips and I will check with the vendors to determine compatibility issues.

Does is appear the same with the Dell XPS LS322 containing the Intel USB Host Controller?
TargusLevel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #128
tbm

@Ruud

And? No more black-outs since you've switched?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #129
longplaypg

Dell XPS 13 (L322X)
Intel USB 3.0 chipset
Kensington SD3500V
Anker USB 3.0 Dual Video

Left USB 3.0 superspeed powershare has had problems with the displaylink docks with the provided USB 3.0 cables between the laptop and displaylink dock

Right USB 3.0 superspeed has performed much better wit the displaylink docks and the provided USB 3.0 cables between the laptop and displaylink dock

Currently I am testing a theory by using a USB 2.0 A male to B male with dual ferrite cores between the laptop and displaylink dock. I am waiting to see a failure so I can collect logs and see if support sees the same USB errors they were seeing when I was using the USB 3.0 cable.

Update
USB 2.0 cable did do better. Eventually I hit the possible memory leak issue. At least the support items I submitted did no show USB errors according to the displaylink support. Makes me wonder about that USB daughterboard and the cable that connects it to the motherboard. I haven't cracked it open yet to see what kind of cabling they used.

Last edited by longplaypg; 10-07-2013 at 07:28 PM.
longplaypg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #130
tbm

@longplaypg

Thanks for the info, and testing!

Today i've received my third Dell D3000 dockingstation. Now running for 3 hours on the RIGHT USB port and a clean Windows 8 installation with the lastest USB/DisplayLink drivers.

In this stage i haven't experienced any black-out...... (yet)

Working on the laptop, and extended the display via HDMI to my TV, playing videos with VLC

I think i'm getting an longer USB3.0 cable to connect to dock with the laptop. Because the length of the original cable is wayyyyyyyyy too short

Or is the provided USB3.0 cable something special??