Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #111
tbm

Hi Ruud,

Ok; so it's not an issue with VMware... It can't be true that the blackouts only occur on our XPS 13 notebooks... The support team now has many outputs from the diagtool. So in my opinion the information provided must tell them what goes wrong here...

I'm still very surprised why this can't be fixed soon. We have bought units which do not work! I hope that maybe DELL can do something for us to get this issue fixed?
tbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #112
Ruud

Unhappy

Hi TBM,

Yep, should be clear what is causing this issue by now.

I hope someone finds a definitive answer soon, or DELL starts to swap these devices for something similar that does work.

Thanks,
Ruud
Ruud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #113
tbm

I'm really clueless here...

When i've received my second DELL D3000 from DELL the dock connected and i was able to work with it a few days. With ofcourse the known blackouts.

Some days later, after powering up my laptop, the dock wasn't recognized by Windows... No display on my TV, and no icon in the traybar.

Yesterday i've followed these steps to resolve the problem:

Running the latest BIOS A09, and enabled USB legacy support in BIOS.

01. Formatted the SSD in my DELL XPS 13.
02. Installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.
03. Updated the whole system via Windows Update.

04. Installed the latest Intel Chipset driver from DELL.
05. Installed the latest Intel HD video driver from DELL.

Since there is no support for Windows 8 Intel USB 3.0 hostcontroller, we have to do it with the supplied one from Microsoft.

06. I've left my dock powerless the whole night... Powered the device and attached the HDMI cable.

07. Without the dock connected to the USB 3.0 port, i've installed the supplied driver package from Dell: DisplayLink_7.0.exe

08. Installation went without errors.

09. Waited a minute and i've plugged in the dock...

10. It does nothing; no blinking screen or firmware update. It only installs the USB 2.0 functionality. So the USB ports on the dock are working, the rest isn't recognized...

I've noticed when i first installed the second dock that after the first connection the firmware got updated by the driver installation. I was expecting this now.

There should be backup firmware in the device, but i hope the TechSupport Team have a solution to firmware flash the device (maybe with other supplied software?)

Maybe that will do the trick, like it seems to me that the internal firmware is not OK now... Since there is no reset button on the device itself... I'm stuck here...

Last edited by tbm; 09-14-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #114
Ruud

Default Frequent black-outs when using a lot of memory

Hi All,

Friday I had frequent black-outs. The only other thing which was going on at the time was some programs using a lot of memory, like eclipse using 1.2 Gb, Firefox using 0,5 Gb etc.
After restarting my computer the problems didn't occur anymore.

What's up with that?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #115
tbm

@Ruud

Splinx said something about the left and right USB-ports. Can you test the docking http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/p...&sku=452-11648 a few days only connected to the RIGHT usb port (where the button is to see the battery power) ?

There are known problems with the left USB port... In fact i'm getting serious low transfer speeds when using an 64GB USB3.0 pendrive connected to the left usb port... Much higher speeds when using the RIGHT usb port..

Also my Samsung Galaxy SII doesn't get recognized on the left usb port... Another day wasted my time to reinstall the whole machine...

Last edited by tbm; 09-22-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #116
Ruud

Default Trying right USB port

Hi TBM,

I've never tried the USB port on the right. Partly because it doesn't look like an USB3 port and because of the physical layout of my desk (the left port is closer to the dock)
I'm trying the right port as of now, will post results later today.

Thanks,
Ruud
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #117
tbm

@Ruud

Both USB ports on the DELL XPS 13 L322X are USB3.0 ports... But there are some issues with the left USB port...

When my dock was functioning i used to connect it also to the left USB port... Thanks for testing!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #118
Ruud

Default So far so good...

Hi TBM,

Good to hear that both ports are USB3.
I haven't had any blackout since this morning.. (keeping fingers crossed)
Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #119
Ruud

Default No black-out entire day!

Hi TBM,

Just to let you know: haven't had any black-out since I'm using the rightside USB port on my XPS13.

Still too early to be significant, but for now I'm very happy with that.

Could also explain why DELL is seems very reluctant to deal with this, because i might mean their device is faulty on the left USB port..
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #120
tbm

@Ruud

Ok, good news so far! When using it for a week then we could say that the problem is the left USB port. The left USB port isn't behaving as an USB3.0 port I hope that DELL can fix this issue with an BIOS update?