Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-21-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
Philomorph

Question Does any USB 3 dock support HDCP - if so, which units?

Hi all, I'm new to DisplayLink and USB docks, but I've been unable to find a definitive answer, so hoping you can help.

I have a new Lenovo Flex-5 Windows 10 laptop. It has a USB-C port, but they apparently only made it to support data, so all the new USB-C docks don't work with this model for video I even tried a few just to confirm this.

It's got USB 3.0 ports so I figured I'd get that kind of dock. But now I can't seem to find one that says explicitly that it supports HDCP so I can stream Netflix to an external monitor.

The DL spec page for the newer chipsets indicates a lot of them support HDCP, but the vendors I've asked so far don't seem to know which chipset they are using or what they support, so...

Hopefully a simple question - does there exist a USB 3.0 dock that will support HDCP so I can stream Netflix/Amazon to an external monitor, or am I out of luck?

Thanks!
Philomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Wim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomorph View Post
Hi all, I'm new to DisplayLink and USB docks, but I've been unable to find a definitive answer, so hoping you can help.

I have a new Lenovo Flex-5 Windows 10 laptop. It has a USB-C port, but they apparently only made it to support data, so all the new USB-C docks don't work with this model for video I even tried a few just to confirm this.

It's got USB 3.0 ports so I figured I'd get that kind of dock. But now I can't seem to find one that says explicitly that it supports HDCP so I can stream Netflix to an external monitor.

The DL spec page for the newer chipsets indicates a lot of them support HDCP, but the vendors I've asked so far don't seem to know which chipset they are using or what they support, so...

Hopefully a simple question - does there exist a USB 3.0 dock that will support HDCP so I can stream Netflix/Amazon to an external monitor, or am I out of luck?

Thanks!
Hi

Support for HDCP is a complex answer, as it depends on the customer building the dock having HDCP enabled on the DisplayLink parts they bought. It also requires support in the OS.

Windows 10 will support HDCP with DisplayLink from 8.3 on platforms based on Intel Kaby Lake, however Netflix/Amazon will already play today on DisplayLink displays as they lower the video quality rather than show nothing when a DisplayLink display is connected. So this should work for watching Netflix on Windows today.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Philomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi

Support for HDCP is a complex answer, as it depends on the customer building the dock having HDCP enabled on the DisplayLink parts they bought. It also requires support in the OS.

Windows 10 will support HDCP with DisplayLink from 8.3 on platforms based on Intel Kaby Lake, however Netflix/Amazon will already play today on DisplayLink displays as they lower the video quality rather than show nothing when a DisplayLink display is connected. So this should work for watching Netflix on Windows today.

Wim
Thanks for the info! I believe the laptop has Kaby Lake, as the specs page says it's 7th gen Intel (i5-7200U) and it's running Windows 10. I'll have to confirm.

So I just need to know which dock makers are supporting it in their implementations?

I'm really only worried about 1080p output (or even 720p would be fine, honestly) - don't need 4k. But I still see enough recent threads online about people getting no video output that I'd rather know for sure before I buy something if it's going to work.

Any specific recommendations?
Philomorph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hdcp, usb