Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
John.voipguy

Exclamation Win 7 Windows Media Center display issue

Hello,

First I would like to say how much I love your product! Being able to run multiple displays over USB3 is the greatest thing since the flat panel display. Much better than the OEM Docking Stations!

Now on to my issue. I have the Toshiba Dynadock U.3.0. When I launch Windows Media Center in full screen mode the main display that WMC launches in displays a black screen with a blinking curser. If I press the Windows task key or Alt+tab WMC displays correctly. I can than move the cursor over to the options in the WMC screen and they animate correctly, however if press any option the screen then goes black with a blinking curser. I have to press the Windows hot key to get the curser back to the other other display.

I have tried Displaylink driver 6.3M1 as well as upgrading to 7.0. I have a Dell XPS L702X with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M with the Intel Integrated graphics.

PS - IF I run Windows Media Center not in full screen mode all is well and everything works great. Also I noticed when I tried to play BattleField 3 I experienced the same issues....

PPS - went through the troubleshooting steps and all appears to be correct.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Last edited by John.voipguy; 10-06-2012 at 07:43 AM.
John.voipguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
John.voipguy

Default additional info

I had some extra time to test a few ideas I had to isolate the issue, I hope they help.

1. Does the issue occur on any particular display?: No, occurrs on both HDMI and DVI displays. works fine on the laptop display.
2. Since I have two "video cards" (1) an integrated Intel "HD", and (1) Nvidia GT 555M GPU. Is it a certain GPU?
  • first I disabled the Integrated display adapter and re-ran both WMC and BF3, Similar issue in Full screen mode, Black display, but this time the curser doesn't blick, just a solid white mouse curser. Switching between primary displays made no difference. Windows performed poorly and reboot caused all sorts of issues. definately be super cautious about trying this.
  • Second I disabled the Nvidia GPU and just ran on the Intel integrated GPU, by disabling the Drivers for the Nvidia card in Device Manager. monitors flickered for a bit and then I then the displays were normal. I ran WMC and what do you know, opened in full screen normally (the integrated GPU really struggled) keeping up drawing the screen and moving the through options. I also ran BF3 in full screen correctly (again, the integrated GPU stinks).

So, this appears to be a problem between the NVIDIA GPU drivers and the DisplayLink Drivers?
Attached Files
File Type: zip WATEEFY-LAPTOP_20121008_200758.zip (2.13 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by John.voipguy; 10-09-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: attach debugs
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
John.voipguy

Default updateded Intel drivers from Dell, now integrated GPU Flickers

upgraded My Intel HD graphics Drivers from 8.15.10.2321 to 8.15.10.2245 from Dell (the Intel Drivers from their website wouldn't work) and now with the Nvidia GPU disabled. WMC and BF3 are completely black in Full screen and the mouse just flickers (same as when running on the Nvidia GPU).

update: Downgraded to original Intel Driver From Dell, disabled the Nvidia GT 555M GPU and worked full screen. I also found and downloaded Nvidia drivers from 18 months ago to see if older NVidia drivers from Dell would work. No luck. It appears that whatever problem exists in the DisplayLink Driver breaks in the latest Intel drivers as well.

Last edited by John.voipguy; 10-09-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
John.voipguy

Default Has this been reviewed by displaylink yet?

Have you had reviewed this post? Is it being looked into yet?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Wim

We are aware of apps in full screen mode not always rendering correctly on some GPUs. We have a fix for this in our next major release.

It is worth noting that WMC has lower performance than Windows Media Player (WMP) on some systems. This is still waiting to be investigated. Therefore if wanting to watch video through WMC, I would recommend using WMP instead for now.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
John.voipguy

Default Thanks WIM

My concern is wanting to play Battlefield 3 through the USB and not buying/using an additional cable
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
John.voipguy

Angry Still not working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
We are aware of apps in full screen mode not always rendering correctly on some GPUs. We have a fix for this in our next major release.

Wim
Hello DisplayLink support teams, it was mentioned back in October a fix would be availalbe in the "Next Major Release". I have tried every release since then and none have resolved my initial issue with Games (battlefield 3) and WMC playing full screen. Has there not been a "Major release" in 6 months!?!? Is this issue not being taken seriously?

Tags
bf3, nvidia gt 555m, toshiba, win7, windows media center