Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 02-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
cornell

Default DisplayLink Manager 1.2 Clamshell mode working

I'm running latest level MacOS Big Sur on a 2016 Intel MacBook Pro. My DisplayLink adapter is connected through a CalDigit USB-C dock. I'm using DisplayLink Manager 1.2.0

Here's the odd thing -- in contrast to other comments here and the release notes, clamshell mode works just fine. Should I expect it to continue working if I upgrade to DisplayLink Manager 1.3.0 ?
cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
jakudo

@cornel I updated to 1.3 and Clamshell mode still forks for me (Docking station HP G2).
jakudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #13
cornell

Jakudo, I updated to 1.3.0 and it's working fine in clamshell mode. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
KatarzynaCzaja
DisplayLink Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornell View Post
I'm running latest level MacOS Big Sur on a 2016 Intel MacBook Pro. My DisplayLink adapter is connected through a CalDigit USB-C dock. I'm using DisplayLink Manager 1.2.0

Here's the odd thing -- in contrast to other comments here and the release notes, clamshell mode works just fine. Should I expect it to continue working if I upgrade to DisplayLink Manager 1.3.0 ?
Hello,

CalDigit products do not use DisplayLink technology or drivers. That is most likely why it is working for you.

@Jakudo - there are also two types of HP G2 docking stations - one uses DL and the other does not, depending on your dock it may work or not.
Also please check the below article as it talks about certain configurations that will allow you to use Clamshell mode:

Clamshell and rotation support on macOS Big Sur 11.x with DisplayLink Manager

Cheers,
Katarzyna

Last edited by KatarzynaCzaja; 02-24-2021 at 11:41 AM.
KatarzynaCzaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #15
cornell

Katarzyna,

Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. I was incomplete in the description of my setup. For the record, I have a USB-C connection to a CalDigit TS3 dock which then connects via USB-A to a Diamond brand BVU195 DisplayLink adapter which connects via DVI to my auxiliary display. So, the role of the CalDigit TS3 in that path is as a USB-C to USB-A adapter (and a number of other connections, not relevant to this discussion.)

Cornell
Old 03-03-2021, 06:38 AM   #16
jakudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk View Post
@Jakudo - there are also two types of HP G2 docking stations - one uses DL and the other does not, depending on your dock it may work or not.
Also please check the below article as it talks about certain configurations that will allow you to use Clamshell mode:

Clamshell and rotation support on macOS Big Sur 11.x with DisplayLink Manager

Cheers,
Katarzyna
Ok, didn't know that. I thought that there is only one HP G2 docking station and the one without DisplayLink is G5. Perhaps I was wrong. However, the one I have works pretty well in Clamshell mode. So happy with it
jakudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #17
shandy

I'm already using an Asus USB-C monitor (which has built-in displaylink) via the 1.3 driver on Big Sur. It's connected to a CalDigit TB3 dock, which is connected to an Intel Macbook Pro in clamshell mode.

I'd like to buy another external monitor - but this time in 4K, which I'll run in HiDPI mode (i.e. 1080p). I'd pair it with a Startech USB3 displaylink adapter capable of 4k@60hz

I'm confused as to what to expect. The 1.3 drivers say clamshell isn't supported, but I'm already successfully using 1.3 with my Asus monitor in clamshell mode.

I saw the comment above about using the CalDigit dock. Does this mean the CalDigit is effectively a get-out-of-jail card for the 1.3 clamshell limitation? I.e. if I plug the Startech adapter into the Caldigit with a new 4k monitor, then it'll work?
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #18
shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
I saw the comment above about using the CalDigit dock. Does this mean the CalDigit is effectively a get-out-of-jail card for the 1.3 clamshell limitation? I.e. if I plug the Startech adapter into the Caldigit with a new 4k monitor, then it'll work?
@KatarzynaKowalczyk Hoping to get a clarification on this

If I plug a displaylink adapter into the caldigit TB3 dock connected to an Intel Macbook pro, (instead of plugging the displaylink adapter straight into the macbook) will the limitation on clamshell mode be overcome?
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:35 PM   #19
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
@KatarzynaKowalczyk Hoping to get a clarification on this

If I plug a displaylink adapter into the caldigit TB3 dock connected to an Intel Macbook pro, (instead of plugging the displaylink adapter straight into the macbook) will the limitation on clamshell mode be overcome?
Apple has specific requirements in order for a system to enter closed-display mode aka clamshell mode --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

Based on Apple's current requirements, if your Caldigit dock is providing power to the host laptop and there is a display connected to the video output port built-in to the Caldigit dock, then closed-display mode should work.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
Zimdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboerner View Post
Apple has specific requirements in order for a system to enter closed-display mode aka clamshell mode --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834
Unfortunately, there's nothing there that would exclude the Kensington USB3.0 2X Video Dock with DL Manager 1.2.0 from working in clamshell mode.

Katarzyna, is there a work-around for this, other than leaving the lid of my MacBook Pro open? I had clamshell mode working before moving to DL Manager 1.2...
Zimdog is offline   Reply With Quote