Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac 1.5 Release

Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
wuffe

Default MacBook Pro/Std users - does clamshell (closed lid) operation work for you ?

hi,

This is a polite question to users of MacBook Pro/Std users

Does clamshell (closed lid) operation work for you with DisplayLink devices ?

I have a (std white) MacBook and whenever I attempt to wakeup from sleep in clamshell (closed lid) mode the DisplayLink driver crashes and the MacBook goes back to sleep/hibernation.

I need to have the lid open in order for the DisplayLink Driver to work properly.

I've installed the latest and final 1.5 (which seems to be a renamed 1.5b6 edition) - with the same results

Kind regards Uffe Jakobsen
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
forza

I use my MacBook Pro (Unibody) in clam shell mode all the time without any problems - have done for a long time now.

I have two DisplayLink devices attached to a USB hub and a third monitor on the display port connection.

I turn the MacBook on and then immediately close the lid - OSX boots up and all is good. The only problems I have are the arrangement of the three panels geting messed up each time I boot and if I let the MacBook go to sleep, coming out of sleep results in the DisplayLink panels not working.

Hope that helps?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
wuffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza View Post

The only problems I have are the arrangement of the three panels geting messed up each time I boot

and if I let the MacBook go to sleep, coming out of sleep results in the DisplayLink panels not working.

Hope that helps?
Thx - the last part is quite important - sounds like exact the same thing that I see...

Wakeup from sleep with closed lid does not work at all for me - can you confirm this ?

And how do you recover from this problem ?

The only way I've found is to open the lid and wakeup the MacBook again. With the lid open it wakes up and DL displays are fine.

Thanks Uffe
Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
forza

Yes, that's exactly what I do too - put it back to sleep and then wake up again with the lid open and the displays come back to life.

As i tend to stay at my desk all day it's not a biggie for me - the odd time it happens I usually just reboot.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
mogul

(Sorry to bump this old thread, but I didn't see one more relevant...)

I'm using a Plugable (DisplayLink-based) docking station, and had hoped to cut my docking process down to "plug in power and USB". However, without an external monitor in the display port, I'm finding the Macbook will wake briefly, then go back to sleep.

Is anyone able to run in clamshell mode with *no* monitor in the external display port, just USB DisplayLink devices?

Thanks,
Bret
Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
wuffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogul View Post

Is anyone able to run in clamshell mode with *no* monitor in the external display port, just USB DisplayLink devices?

(I'm the initiator of this thread)

No - clamshell mode still does not work for me (MacOSX10.6.6/DL1.6b3)

I still have to open the lid of my macbook every morning - I too would like a more smooth docking process - especially for a product that claims to be a "docking" solution...
Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #7
mogul

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffe View Post
No - clamshell mode still does not work for me (MacOSX10.6.6/DL1.6b3)

I still have to open the lid of my macbook every morning - I too would like a more smooth docking process - especially for a product that claims to be a "docking" solution...
I'd come to that conclusion myself, and found explicit note of it in the release notes for a version or two back of the drivers. What a drag, that nearly scuttled my whole plan.

But! I was going to add a KVMP into the mix, and since I did that the situation has changed to where I am happy with the result...

* I have a dual-DVI KVMP with USB 2.0 (IOGear GCS1642)
* I attached the two DVI monitors to it.
* I take the KVMP's output DVI/USB/audio cables, and plug them straight to my Macbook.
* (And here's where it gets craaaaazy...) I plug the output of the second DVI cable into a DisplayLink adapter, then plug the DisplayLink adapter into the USB 2.0 peripheral port on the KVMP!

So now to dock:
* I connect power to my Macbook.
* I plug the second DisplayPort and USB from the KVM straight into my Macbook.

Et voila... Macbook runs clamshell, as it would without the KVMP at all, driving two DVI monitors. Both DVI monitors are still available to three other PCs on the KVMP as regular DVI connections.

I have two DVI monitors available to the Macbook with the lid closed. The universe did not explode. Good enough, mission accomplished, I'll stop here.